[comp.virus] Processor-specific viruses and other subjects

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (01/21/91)

			Processor-specific viruses

When the first viruses appeared, some of them were discovered to work
only on 8088/8086 but not on '286 or '386 computers.  The best example
of this are two early boot-sector viruses:

	Ping-Pong (Italian, Bouncing Ball) - the standard version uses
	the MOV CS,AX instruction which only exists on 8088 and 8086.

	Alameda (Yale) - The first version used the POP CS instruction,
	for the same purpose - which also generates an "invalid instruction"
	interrupt on later processors.

The reason for this was assumed to be that the authors of the viruses
only had access to an 8088/8086 computer.

Now we have a different, but equally interesting situation.  One of
the recent viruses from Eastern Europe fails to execute on the 8088
and 8086 processors, but works perfectly on a '386.  The reaon is its
use of the PUSH IMMEDIATE instruction (hex opcode 68), which did not
exixt on the 8088/86.  The author of this otherwise non-remarkable 492
byte virus can therefore safely be assumed to have access to a more
powerful computer than the virus writers two years ago... :-)

			Translations wanted....

From the Bebe virus comes this text - what does it mean - and what
language is this ?

	 VIRUS!      Skagi "bebe"    Fig Tebe !

The MLTI virus contains this text - clearly a reference to the "Eddie"
virus, but what does "RED DIAVOLYATA" mean ?  (I want to emphasize
that "Dark Avenger" is the name of the author of the "Eddie" virus -
not the name of the virus itself.)

	Eddie die somewhere in time!
	This programm was written in the city of Prostokwashino
	(C) 1990   RED DIAVOLYATA
	Hello! MLTI!

From the POLIMER comes this text - is this Polish ? And what does it
mean ?

        A le'jobb kazetta a POLIMER kazetta !   Vegye ezt !

KLUB@MARISTB (Richard Budd) (01/27/91)

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason)writes in VIRUS-L V4 #13:

>From the POLIMER comes this text - is this Polish ? And what does it
>mean ?

>        A le'jobb kazetta a POLIMER kazetta !   Vegye ezt !

The last sentence looks like Magyar (Hungarian).  I've had some
exposure to that language from a recent bicycle tour of Hungary, but I
am not versed in it.  I will send a copy to our Budapest office for
possible translation.

Richard Budd                 | E-Mail: IBMers     - rcbudd@rhqvm19.ibm
VM Systems Programmer        |         All Others - klub@maristb.bitnet
IBM - Sterling Forest, NY    | Phone:               (914)578-3764
Question of the Week - How would the Persian Gulf Crisis been handled if
                       Jimmy Carter had still been President?

tbeke@phoenix.princeton.edu (Tibor Beke) (01/30/91)

KLUB@MARISTB (Richard Budd) writes:
>frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason)writes in VIRUS-L V4 #13:
>>From the POLIMER comes this text - is this Polish ? And what does it
>>mean ?
>
>>        A le'jobb kazetta a POLIMER kazetta !   Vegye ezt !
>
>The last sentence looks like Magyar (Hungarian).  I've had some

It is Hungarian, indeed, and reads:

          POLIMER brand casettes are simply the best!  Go for them!

Incidentally, this brand is by far the worst anybody, even in the East
Bloc, could have conjured up.

        Tibor Beke (Beke Tibor, tinektek magyaroknak)
        a Hungarian citizen who miraculously got full undergraduate
        scholarship
  There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesome
                                              Mark Twain

Disclaimer: one thing i can trust is my absentmindedne