[comp.virus] Table of Contents for Virus-L Digest

CMLHD%UOTTAWA@acadvm1.uottawa.ca (Colin Lay) (01/30/91)

Being a dedicated listener, and occasional contributor, to VIRUS-L
Digest, I sometimes want to find out what was said, when, and by whom.
There is no index to the Digest topics I am aware of, and therefore I
decided to start the process, at least for myself, by creating a Table
of Contents on a month by month basis.

I routinely download and ZIP the Digest and store the results on
floppies (720K), in 1 month groups.  The big problem is where to find
what I am looking for, a month or so later.  My partial solution is to
use the following WordPerfect 5.1 macros to strip out all but the
topic list and individual submission Date, From and Subject entries.
So far in the month of January 1990, issues 1 to 16 are reduced to a
Table of Contents file of 35,161 bytes, while the ZIPped digests are
148,044 bytes long, and the originals take 335377 bytes.

Following the macros in this submission I am including a sample of the
output from Vol.4 Issue 1.  If there is sufficient interest, I can
submit the Table of Contents on a regular basis to the Digest or some
other appropriate repository.

[Ed. You might want to also take a look at Anthony Appleyard's index
system.]

Macro: Action
     File             VIRUSL.WPM
     Description      cleanup Virus-L Digest for Tbl of Con.
      {DISPLAY OFF}{Block}{Search}{Enter}
      virus{Home}-l {Search}{Home}{Left}{Backspace}y{Enter}
      {Search}{Search}{Home}{Left}{Block}{Search}{Enter}
      Date: {Search}{Home}{Left}{Backspace}y
      {CHAIN}vira~

Macro: Action
     File             VIRA.WPM
     Description      Clean indiv.submiss. to Date,From,Subj
      {DISPLAY OFF}
      {ON NOT FOUND}{GO}end~~
      {Search}{Enter}
      Subject: {Search}{Home}{Left}{Down}{Enter}
      {Block}{Search}{Enter}
      Date: {Search}{Home}{Left}{Backspace}y
      {CHAIN}vira~
      {RETURN}
1      {LABEL}end~
      {CHAIN}virb~
      {RETURN}

Macro: Action
     File             VIRB.WPM
     Description      Cleanup last submission to eof
      {DISPLAY OFF}{Home}{Home}{Down}
      {Up}{Up}{Up}{Up}{Up}{Backspace}y{Down}
      {Down}{Down}{Block}{Home}{Home}{Down}{Backspace}y{HPg}

VIRUS-L Digest   Wednesday,  2 Jan 1991    Volume 4 : Issue 1

Today's Topics:

EXE file compression with LZEXE and PKLITE (PC)
Macvirus index? (Mac)
Disk Utilities (PC)
Re: Virus Protection (PC)
more about the conference in Hamburg
ZeroHunt Virus (PC)
Re: Viruses for the holidays & admin note
please stop the requests
Re: (1) GAO Report on Computer Security
Zmodem infected with Violator (PC)
UK Computer Crime Unit
MIBSRV downtime
WP viri and bugs (PC)
Unix and Mainframe Viruses
New virus (PC)

Date:    20 Dec 90 14:22:50 +0000
From:    Mark Scase <coa44@seq1.keele.ac.uk>
Subject: EXE file compression with LZEXE and PKLITE (PC)

Date:    Thu, 20 Dec 90 11:58:36 -0800
From:    rrk@planets.risc.com (Richard Killion)
Subject: Macvirus index? (Mac)

Date:    Thu, 20 Dec 90 15:14:00 -0400
From:    Bill Thater <THATERW@SNYSYRV1.BITNET>
Subject: Disk Utilities (PC)

Date:    Thu, 20 Dec 90 22:06:33 -0800
From:    sulistio@sutro.SFSU.EDU (Sulistio Muljadi)
Subject: Re: Virus Protection (PC)

etc.
etc.
etc.

Colin M. Lay,Assoc. Prof.
Fac. of Administration, Univ. of Ottawa
Tel. (613)564-7015  FAX (613) 564-6518
"Any opinions expressed are mine, not necessarily those of my employer."
Acknowledge-To: <CMLHD@UOTTAWA>