[comp.virus] Problem with F-Prot 1.14

csw76@seq1.keele.ac.uk (J.C. Kohler) (01/25/91)

Hi there,

I installed the new version of F-PROT (1.14) today and I encountered a
small problem. When I tried to do a F-XLOCK *.* in my WordPerfect
directory, there were many files which it couldn't protect. Especially
the file WP.EXE, which is the most important one, and the one that is
the most frequently run was not lock-able.

I'm using a Dutch version of WP 5.1, does anybody has an ideay why
F-XLOCK can't lock them, it displays an error message, which contains
something about a illegal header.

Many Thanks in advance

Christian

====
[J.] Christian Kohler
Keele university, United Kingdom
JANET    : csw76@uk.ac.keele.seq1
INTERNET : csw76%keele.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
BITNET   : csw76%keele.ac.uk@ukacrl
UUCP     : ..!ukc!keele!csw76

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (01/30/91)

csw76@seq1.keele.ac.uk (J.C. Kohler) writes:
>I installed the new version of F-PROT (1.14) today and I encountered a
>small problem. When I tried to do a F-XLOCK *.* in my WordPerfect
>directory, there were many files which it couldn't protect.

This problem is a side-effect of the correction of another problem.
Here is what happened:

The "length" of EXE files can be defined in two ways - the actual (physical)
length of the file, and the length according to the header.  Case in point:

Turbo C++ is an 800K file, but according to the header it is only 165K long.
When it is executed, only 165K are loaded into memory, but the program may
later load parts of itself as necessary.

Using F-XLOCK (to add automatic detection of infection of unknown viruses)
involves adding a small module to the end of the file.  If Turbo C++ was
F-XLOCKed in this way, it would not run, as the resulting length of the file
was 800K (according to the header), and the file just could not be loaded
into memory.

For this reason, I decided to prevent F-XLOCK from adding the module to EXE
files, if the actual length was different from the length, according to
the header.

But, in many cases the difference between the two "lengths" is small, and
adding the module has no undesirable effect - I plan to change F-XLOCK a
bit in the next version, and will try to improve this.

- -frisk