[comp.virus] Problem with virus checker

PERETTI%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu (Brian J. Peretti) (01/22/91)

A friend of mine is using the McAfee virus scan program on his computer.  When
he attempts to run the program, however, the program does not run.  As soon as
the line with the phone number comes up, some funny characters come onto the
screen and then the c: prompt reappears.  Whenever he puts a clean disk into
 the computer, the disk, when scanned on another machine, the stoned virus is
on the disk.  Does anyone have an answer to this problem?

Thanks,
Brian J. Peretti

The usual disclaimers apply to this query

jesse@altos86.Altos.COM ( Jesse Chisholm) (02/01/91)

PERETTI%auvm.auvm.edu@VM1.gatech.edu (Brian J. Peretti) writes:
>A friend of mine is using the McAfee virus scan program on his computer.  When
>he attempts to run the program, however, the program does not run.  As soon as
>the line with the phone number comes up, some funny characters come onto the
>screen and then the c: prompt reappears.  Whenever he puts a clean disk into
> the computer, the disk, when scanned on another machine, the stoned virus is
>on the disk.  Does anyone have an answer to this problem?
>
>Thanks,
>Brian J. Peretti

Sounds to me like two things have happened.

(1) his machined has the STONED virus in its partition table

(2) the copy of SCAN that he has is damaged.  He should call the
McAfee BBS and down load the current version as soon as
possible.

Since the STONED virus is there, he could go ahead and run the
CLEAN program to remove it.  Then see if SCAN could detect any
more.

Jesse Chisholm          | "Belief without understanding is superstition;
jesse@Altos86.Altos.COM |  Understanding without belief is theology;
Tel 1-408-432-6200x4810 |  It takes both for a living faith."
Fax 1-408-434-0273      |                --  Dr. Wolfgang Gross