[comp.virus] Apathy and viral spread

john@uunet.uu.net (02/01/91)

p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) writes:

>Recently, Stratford Software has started a new online information
>service called SUZY.  (The service is active in Canada, and is in
(text ommitted)

>What does this mean to you, and to data security?  It means that
>less than 3% of all, and 20% of *active* SUZY users care enough
>about data security to join the anti-virus IN.  This is the
>*real* reason that computer viri are so widespread today: people
>do not realize the danger.

You are drawing conclusions from personal biases. Simply because
members of SUZY do not subscribe to your IN, does not mean they are
unaware of the danger of viruses. It simply means that they did not
want to join your IN. Rather than allowing your 'statistics' to
incorrectly lead people to false assumptions, let's clarify:

	1) SUZY is a 'Pay to play' service
	2) INtegrity is not an 'exclusive' source of information
	3) INtegrity's user base is in all likelihood oriented
	   towards 'personal' systems rather than 'corporate'
	   systems (I draw this conclusion from my own experiences
	   with the SUZY network) A niche that is already well
	   covered by BBS systems.

Now, as a user, why would I pay good money to join a
SIG/FORUM/IN/whatever wneh I can probably get the same or better
information for free from a local BBS or E-MAIL list? (Better, simply
because more people subscribe to 'freebies' than 'pay to play'
services and also people are more likely to post information when they
aren't being charged to contribute). I am a supporter of SUZY. (Though
I still prefer CompuServe, BIX and even PORTAL as far as 'pay'
services are concerned) But I refuse to let your biased rantings go
unchallenged. The following stats came from 3 BBS's:

	Percentage of users that subscribe to the 'virus' sections

		68%, 77% and 83%!

	Message activity (rating/number of active sections)

		37/145, 8/63 and 10/38

Apathy? I don't think so. One anti-virus program had been retrieved
more than 500 times in the past 6 months! Most corporate security
precautions include some form of computer virus control. Most BBS's
make a point of checking programs for viruses prior to advertising
them on their systems. I wish we could be this 'apathetic' about our
environment and our fellow human beings. I think it's time for a
large dose of reality, Rob. Why not look at how to make your 'IN' more
appealing instead of trying to convince people that it's representative
of the 'real world'

			Peace

____Opinions expressed are my own. Transcripts available for a small fee____
        ===
      =--====  AT&T Canada Inc.             John Benfield
     =----==== 3650 Victoria Park Ave.      Network Support Analyst (MIS)
     =----==== Suite 800
     ==--===== Willowdale, Ontario          attmail   : ~jbenfield
      =======  M2H-3P7			    email     : uunet!attcan!john
        ===    (416) 756-5221               Compu$erve: 72137,722

__Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.___