[comp.virus] Text in MLTI Virus

PCOEN@DRUNIVAC.BITNET (Paul Coen) (01/24/91)

>The MLTI virus contains this text - clearly a reference to the "Eddie"
>virus, but what does "RED DIAVOLYATA" mean ?  (I want to emphasize
>that "Dark Avenger" is the name of the author of the "Eddie" virus -
>not the name of the virus itself.)

Well, I can't help you with the RED DIAVOLYATA, aside from the rather
obvious point that it seems to be the "name" of the author.

>       Eddie die somewhere in time!

This, however, is rather interesting.  "Eddie" is the name of the "mascott"
of the heavy metal group, Iron Maiden.  Eddie sort of looks like a decayed,
mutilated corpse.  This becomes less of a stretch of meaning because
"Somewhere in Time" is the name of an Iron Maiden album from the early
eighties.  I guess Western heavy metal music really IS popular in Eastern
Europe.  Not to imply that people who like heavy metal are virus writers,
of course :-).  I just thought I'd point out the interesting cultural link
there.
- --
Paul Coen       Drew University Academic Computer Center
                pcoen@drunivac.bitnet  pcoen@drunivac.drew.edu

MCMAHON@GRIN1.Bitnet (McMahon,Brian D) (01/25/91)

(I haven't posted here for a long while -- things have been very busy.)

Paul Coen <PCOEN@DRUNIVAC.BITNET> responded:

>Well, I can't help you with the RED DIAVOLYATA, aside from the rather
>obvious point that it seems to be the "name" of the author.

Let's hope not.  :-) DIAVOLYATA I think is related to English
"diabolical", referring to the Devil.  There are several interesting
things about this signature.

o  "Diavolyata" does not translate directly to "Devil" in any of the
   Russian, Polish, Czech, Bulgarian, and Serbo-Croatian dictionaries in
   our library.  The Russian would be "d'yavol."  Transliterating from
   Cyrillic to Latin script gets interesting, but "diavol" is a plausible
   rendition.  (I could go on, but it's outside of the list's topic.  Check
   the archives of RUSTEX-L on the UBVM LISTSERVer.)  One wild and
   unsupported guess:  DIAVOLYATA could be a contraction of "diavol" and
   "rebyata" (colloquially, "kids") for something like "devil-kids."  Just
   a WAG (Wild-Assed Guess), though.

o  The city of Prostokwashino does not appear in either the Bol'shaya
   Sovetskaya or the Brockhaus (generally good for Eastern Europe).
   "Prostokvasha" is Russian for "curdled milk."

o  MLTI is an abbreviation for "Moskov'skij Lesotekhnicheskij Institut,"
   the Moscow Forest Engineering Institute.

It's been several years since my last Russian class -- make of this what
you will, but at your own risk...

Brian McMahon  <MCMAHON@GRIN1.BITNET> | VAX Kludgemeister, Macintosh Medic,
Grinnell College Computer Services    | Human Help Key, support for sundry
Grinnell, Iowa 50112 USA              | stats packages, and rookie DECUS
Voice: +1 515 269 4901                | Symposia Editor.  Please allow two
Fax:   +1 515 269 4936                | to four weeks for miracles.

DGB@BNOS.BLDRDOC.GOV (01/29/91)

Regarding the discussion about "Eddie," I have always associated the
phrase,
  "Eddie die somewhere in time"
along with the action of randomly picking a location to kill with the
book Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut Jr, where the hero has become
unstuck in time.

Am I alone?

Regards,
Dave Beausang

Bell:      (303)497-5174
BITNet:    DGB@NISTCS2.BITNet
Internet:  DGB@BNOS.BLDRDOC.GOV

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer;
and upon futher reflection they may no longer be mine.

RADAI@HUJIVMS.BITNET (Y. Radai) (01/30/91)

  Fridrik Skulason asked about the meaning of the following text in
the MLTI virus:
>        This programm was written in the city of Prostokwashino
>        (C) 1990   RED DIAVOLYATA

The following info was supplied to me by a co-worker who recently
emigrated from the USSR:
  "RED DIAVOLYATA" is a partial translation of "Krasnie Dyavolyata".
It and "Prostokvashino" are the names of well-known Soviet films.
"Dyavolyata" was apparently too hard for the virus-writer to
translate.  It means something like "little devils", and "Krasnie
Dyavolyata" refers to the youth who fought against the White Army
during the Russian Revolution.  The village "Prostokvashino" is a
fictitious one, which explains why Brian McMahon didn't find it in the
books he consulted.
                                     Y. Radai
                                     RADAI@HUJIVMS.BITNET

morgan@ms.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) (01/31/91)

>>The MLTI virus contains this text - clearly a reference to the "Eddie"
>>virus, but what does "RED DIAVOLYATA" mean ?  (I want to emphasize
>>that "Dark Avenger" is the name of the author of the "Eddie" virus -
>>not the name of the virus itself.)
>>
>>       Eddie die somewhere in time!
>>       This programm was written in the city of Prostokwashino
>>       (C) 1990   RED DIAVOLYATA
>>       Hello! MLTI!

Perhaps our virus author is a heavy-metal fan.  "Eddie" is the mascot
of the group Iron Maiden.  Eddie happens to be a {corpse, undead, zom-
bie}. (I'm not sure which word to use.  That group's discography in-
cludes an album titled "Somewhere In Time".

Hmmmm.....a techno-metalhead conspiracy, perhaps?  Subliminal messages
in rock albums inciting teenagers to digital terrorism?  Hmmmmmmm.....

    | Wes Morgan, not speaking for | {any major site}!ukma!ukecc!morgan |
    | the University of Kentucky's |        morgan@engr.uky.edu         |
    | Engineering Computing Center |   morgan%engr.uky.edu@UKCC.BITNET  |
     Lint is the compiler's only means of dampening the programmer's ego.

lev@suned2.Nswses.Navy.Mil (Lloyd E Vancil) (01/31/91)

DGB@BNOS.BLDRDOC.GOV writes:
>Regarding the discussion about "Eddie," I have always associated the
>phrase,
>  "Eddie die somewhere in time"
>along with the action of randomly picking a location to kill with the
>book Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut Jr, where the hero has become
>unstuck in time.
>
>Am I alone?

I am new to this group but I would associate Eddie and "Crazy Eddie"
with "The Mote in God's Eye" -I forget the author's name- But to go
"Crazy Eddie" was to discard the accepted meme's and conventions of
society and do something out of racial character.  As I think more
about it, I think the Author was Niven/Pournell.  Seems to me those
who write viri are "Crazy Eddie"

- --
      *      suned1!lev@elroy.JPL.Nasa.Gov sun!suntzu!suned1!lev
          .                lev@suned1.nswses.navy.mil        +      .
    +          *       S.T.A.R.S.! The revolution has begun!   *
      My employer has no opinions.  These are mine!

public@lehtori.tut.fi (PD Software Group) (02/02/91)

> Regarding the discussion about "Eddie," I have always associated the
> phrase,
>  "Eddie die somewhere in time"
> along with the action of randomly picking a location to kill with the
> book Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut Jr, where the hero has become
> unstuck in time.
>
>Am I alone?

I don't know if you are alone, but the "Eddie lives somewhere in time"
and the "Eddie die somewhere in time" phrases are taken from the heavy
metal band Iron Maiden. Eddie is their mascot and "Somewhere In Time"
is the title of their album which was released in 1986. Iron Maiden
and the other heavy metal bands are really popular in the Eastern
Europe.

BTW, the texts in the Anthrax virus ("Anthrax" and "Damage Inc.") are
also taken from two heavy metal bands. Anthrax is a quite popular band
from the USA and the Damage Inc. was the cover name used by Metallica,
also from the USA. Both of these bands play so-called speed metal, but
the Iron Maiden plays more old-fashioned heavy metal.

Tapio Keihanen

public@cc.tut.fi

KLUB@MARISTB.BITNET (Richard Budd) (02/03/91)

Y. Radai <RADAI@HUJIVMS.BITNET> writes in VIRUS-L V4 #18

Wes Morgan(morgan@engr.uky.edu) writes in VIRUS-L V4 #18

>>>The MLTI virus contains this text - clearly a reference to the "Eddie"
>>>virus, but what does "RED DIAVOLYATA" mean ?  (I want to emphasize
>>>that "Dark Avenger" is the name of the author of the "Eddie" virus -
>>>not the name of the virus itself.)
>>>
>>>       Eddie die somewhere in time!
>>>       This programm was written in the city of Prostokwashino
>>>       (C) 1990   RED DIAVOLYATA
>>>       Hello! MLTI!
>
>Perhaps our virus author is a heavy-metal fan.  "Eddie" is the mascot
>of the group Iron Maiden.  Eddie happens to be a {corpse, undead, zom-
>bie}. (I'm not sure which word to use.  That group's discography in-
>cludes an album titled "Somewhere In Time".

>Hmmmm.....a techno-metalhead conspiracy, perhaps?  Subliminal messages
>in rock albums inciting teenagers to digital terrorism?  Hmmmmmmm.....

Actually, it isn't anything subliminal.  Dark Avenger, according to the  |
New York Times,is a Bulgarian.  Families I've stayed with in Poland and  |
Czechoslovakia have explained that virtually the only "entertainment"    |
available in theaters and on television in East-bloc countries before   o.
1989 were Soviet and domestic political and Communist historical films
such as those mentioned by Mr. Radai.  The American films now shown on
Polish and Czech television aren't exactly Academy Award classics.

There was and still is an active underground selling pirated
recordings recordings of heavy-metal and 1960's groups.  Boys in
villages and large cities in Poland, Czechoslovakia, and Hungary wore
T-Shirts and leather jackets with Iron Maiden, Metallica, MegaDeth,
and Poison on them.  Even though casettes from these groups are now
available in stores in the larger cities, they are expensive (relative
to their standards, cheap in relation to what the casettes cost in New
York), especially when in some countries, food and other basic staples
are hard to get.  This adulation from young men in Bulgaria and other
former Soviet-bloc countries for heavy metal is probably for the same
reason the groups enjoy wide support from young people here -
rebellion against repressive establish- ment.  The only difference is
the youth in Eastern Europe had a far more repressive establishment,
less accessibility to outlets other than the "Party line" and more
incentive to rebel than their counterparts in the West.  Since the
overthrow of Communist regimes in Eastern Europe, the economies of
these countries have been in a mess, something we seem to vel be
ignoring as we watch CNN cover the Persian Gulf.  One wonders if those
young men from Eastern Europe who are writing viruses are trying to
get our attention?

I have received no reply from Budapest about the POLIMER virus and am
wondering if that sentence was in Magyar.  Could somebody on the net be
of help here.

Richard Budd                 | E-Mail:    - rcbudd@rhqvm19.ibm
VM Systems Programmer        | All Others - klub@maristb.bitnet
IBM - Sterling Forest, NY    | Phone:       (914) 578-3746
Question of the Week: Should the United States test the neutron bomb on
                      Baghdad?