Date:         Mon, 28 Jan 91 16:52:31 CST
From:         THE GAR <GLWARNER@SAMFORD>
Subject:      SimWare 3.1

BUT . . . SIMWARE's "SimMac 3.1 Application Disk" (Master Program), which
I received on or about Jan 11 was infected!  SAM reports that it was last
altered on 12/21/90 at 12:55 PM.   This INFURIATES me, as I had up until
today always trusted the programs that come straight from the manufacturer
sealed in the "Read Carefully BEFORE Opening" license envelope!

Greg Bisaillon contacted me from Simware, and together we checked our
respective shipping logs.  It seems that the package WAS at Samford on
Dec 21!  The first time that I used the disk on my machine was not
until early January, however it was used in ANOTHER Mac before it came
to mine.

This Mac must have been the infector, NOT Simware.

I was unaware that this had occurred, as the disk was in its envelope
when I received the disk.  All my packages are opened by the person in
charge of our purchase orders, so it did not bother me, I had assumed
it was open so the shipping invoice could be removed.

Having spoken with Greg, I have come to understand what a thorough and
outstanding job of quality assurance they provide at Simware, with
each disk being checked with SAM and Disinfectant some four times
before leaving the premises.

I again would like to apologize, and hope that Chris Radziminski, and
the MacWeek people are still reading this list, as both had expressed
concerns to Simware.  I have always despised the rumors that went
along with the software business, and now I have unwittingly started
one!

[Ed. Thanks for setting the record straight, Gary!]

!  Later        +   Systems Programmer                                 !
!  Gary Warner  +   Samford University Computer Services               !
!               +   II TIMOTHY 2:15                                    !