[comp.virus] non-sacaning anti-virus techniques

LCHICAIZ@ANDESCOL.BITNET (Luis B. Chicaiza S.) (02/15/91)

> 99% of scanning for viruses just requieres looking for a "search string".

What happens with new viruses?

I belive that is more useful to prevent virus contamination than try
to clean a system when it's infected.  I have a new anti-virus
product, (named COMPUCILINA), this program vaccinate other programs
(aplication ones, system programs, and a disk boot), and guarantees
these programs will not be infected.  COMPUCILINA offers protection
agaist actual and future viruses.

Luis B. Chicaiza S.
Universidad de los Andes, Bogota, Colombia.
mail adress: <LCHICAIZ@ANDESCOL.BITNET>

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (02/21/91)

LCHICAIZ@ANDESCOL.BITNET (Luis B. Chicaiza S.) writes:
>I belive that is more useful to prevent virus contamination than try
>to clean a system when it's infected.

I think everybody will agree with this.

>I have a new anti-virus product, (named COMPUCILINA), this program vaccinate
>other programs (aplication ones, system programs, and a disk boot), and
>guarantees these programs will not be infected.  COMPUCILINA offers
>protection agaist actual and future viruses.

Truly interesting, if this is 100% true - but I doubt it.  It is easy
to add code to programs and boot sectors which will detect infection
by 98% of currently known viruses - all the 400 or so known variants,
other than a few "stealth" viruses.

Adding code which PREVENTS something from being infected is an
entirely different story - what if the computer is booted from a
floppy and some infected program run ?  No additions to other
programs, no matter how sophisticated could prevent the programs from
being infected.  The additional code MIGHT detect the infection, but
as I said before, detection and prevention are two different things.

- -frisk

Fridrik Skulason      University of Iceland  |
Technical Editor of the Virus Bulletin (UK)  |  Reserved for future expansion
E-Mail: frisk@rhi.hi.is    Fax: 354-1-28801  |