[comp.virus] IBM Virus Scanner.

PJML@ibma.nerc-wallingford.ac.uk (Pete Lucas) (02/12/91)

Can anyone tell me whether any new signature files have been released
for the IBM Virus Scanner? I currently have release 1.2 of this
program, which is at a guess around 6 months old; has there been any
update of the program??

           Pete Lucas PJML@UK.AC.NWL.IA  G6WBJ@GB7SDN.GBR.EU

CHESS@YKTVMV.BITNET (David.M.Chess) (02/16/91)

"Pete Lucas" <PJML@ibma.nerc-wallingford.ac.uk>:
>Can anyone tell me whether any new signature files have been released
>for the IBM Virus Scanner? I currently have release 1.2 of this
>program, which is at a guess around 6 months old; has there been any
>update of the program??

The current version is 1.3; another version should be out pretty soon.
Price continues to be $35 for an enterprise-wide license, and
something like $10 for upgrades.  Available through your IBM marketing
rep, branch office, IBMLINK, etc.

DC

campbell@dev8n.mdcbbs.com (Tim Campbell) (02/21/91)

CHESS@YKTVMV.BITNET (David.M.Chess) writes:
> "Pete Lucas" <PJML@ibma.nerc-wallingford.ac.uk>:
>>Can anyone tell me whether any new signature files have been released
>>for the IBM Virus Scanner? I currently have release 1.2 of this
>>program, which is at a guess around 6 months old; has there been any
>>update of the program??
>
> The current version is 1.3; another version should be out pretty soon.
> Price continues to be $35 for an enterprise-wide license, and
> something like $10 for upgrades.  Available through your IBM marketing
> rep, branch office, IBMLINK, etc.

I have Virscan ver. 1.23.  I did dial into IBMLink to see if I could
find version 1.3.  I learned two things... #1) It was very hard to
find.  I could not locate it in any of the software catalogs or the
announcement letters, etc.  I finally found it in the Bulletin Board,
burried a few pages deep (the last release seems to have been a while
back) - and #2) It indicated that this was version 1.2 of the program
(I myself have 1.23 - maybe they just don't indicate minor revs -
possible because they still mark DOS 4.01 boxes as 4.0.)  The program
can be obtained online (electronically) by using the "fastpath" name
ESD (Electronic Software Distribution) which should have a list of
files that can be downloaded (for a cost) - you're supposed to send a
check to IBM after downloading (I guess).  The cost is $35 if you're
getting it for the first time, or $10 if your just updating an old
copy.

This leaves me back at square 1.  Unless their documentation is wrong,
I *have* the most current version.  Are you sure you have version 1.3?
Also there is no mention of getting more signatures (I think this is
all I *really* need.)

I haven't looked at other virus scanners, but I imagine most are set
up to allow users to add more signatures as they learn of them.
(otherwise they'd become obsolete pretty quick).  Is ANYBODY aware of
a source for virus signatures (specifically IBM-PC (DOS))??

All of the listed virus sites are indicated by internet addresses.
This is of course completely useless to people who are not on the
internet.  Is anybody aware of dial-up access for any of these sites?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  I'm sure there are others who would be
equally interested in this info.

   -Tim

	  In real life:  Tim Campbell - Electronic Data Systems Corp.
     Usenet:  campbell@dev8.mdcbbs.com   @ McDonnell Douglas M&E - Cypress, CA
       also:  tcampbel@einstein.eds.com  @ EDS - Troy, MI
 CompuServe:  71631,654	 	         Prodigy:  MPTX77A
 P.S.  If anyone asks, just remember, you never saw any of this -- in fact, I
       wasn't even here.

CHESS@YKTVMV.BITNET (David.M.Chess) (02/23/91)

If you have a version of VIRSCAN that is labelled 1.23, what you have
is a (quite old) copy of the INTERNAL USE version of the program.  The
internal version number and the product version number are on two
entirely different tracks (we'll be fixing this soon!).  So internal
1.23 is in fact *older* than product 1.2.  (The next versions of both
will probably be called "2.0", so this problem will go away.)

The current version of the product is 1.3; it should be available in
IBMLINK in the Electronic Software Distribution section (this is what
I'm told; I've never used IBMLINK myself).

The one source of virus signatures (suitable for use in VIRSCAN, for
instance) that springs to mind is the list that is published in Virus
Bulletin.  That's a UK publication; I'm not sure how likely you are to
find it in a US library, for instance...

DC