[comp.virus] Possible new BRAIN version?

p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) (02/26/91)

I have no confirmation on this as yet, but ...

   Date : 16-Feb-91 16:23
   From : Larry Beattie

A version of Brain (apparently) know as "Shithead" as surfaced
trashing hard disks etc on home computers.  It apparently was
transferred from PCs used by the airline reservation systems and
came from a travel agent in Quebec.  Anyone know anything about
it. Using SCAN /M seems to disinfect it.  The virus also
apparently hides the work of other viruses (didn't know they did
that) so it could be particularly insidious.

RS> Larry:
RS>
RS> Do you have a copy of the new virus for disassembly?

Unfortunatly not.  As new user exchanging disks with my friend
(who had his drive trashed) I immediatly ran everything I could
to clean my system.  Apparently it worked.  I will try to see
what I can get since it also infected (came from) Airlines
reservation systems and travel agents (brought home by my
friend's wife).

========

In addition, I have recently been promised, but haven't yet seen, a
version of Stoned that infects COMMAND.COM, increasing its length by 960
bytes.

Vancouver          p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca           _n_
Insitute for       Robert_Slade@mtsg.sfu.ca          H
Research into      (SUZY) INtegrity                 /
User               Canada V7K 2G6                O=C\
Security                            Radical Dude   | O- /\_
"A ship in a harbour is safe, but that     /  ||`----'||
is not what ships are built for."             ||      ||
                     - John Parks             ``      ``