[comp.virus] SCORES and Mac virus lethality

p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) (03/01/91)

fau@po.CWRU.Edu (Francis A. Uy) writes:

> Another important thing to note is that none of the Mac virii
>  known as of Disinfectant 2.4 are specifically malignant: i.e.
>  they only attempt to spread, rather than trying to destroy files.

Well, I suppose it depends a bit on your definition.  No, no Mac viri
have *destroyed* files, but the Mac does have the distinction of being
home to the first virus *known* to be targetted at a commercial
program.  The program containing the ERIC and VULT resources never did
get released, but the bomb was waiting, nonetheless ...

Vancouver          p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca   | "It says 'Hit any
Institute for      Robert_Slade@mtsg.sfu.ca | key to continue.'
Research into      (SUZY) INtegrity         | I can't find the
User               Canada V7K 2G6           | 'Any' key on my
Security                                    | keyboard."