[comp.virus] How to disable boot up from A:

eldar@lomi.spb.su (Eldar A. Musaev) (02/28/91)

>University of Houston can disable boot up from drive A:

That is very simple, if you have only one floppy. Open your computer
and set DIP switches and cable connections to make A: as B:. After
that insert in AUTOEXEC.BAT a program which overrides all requests
from A: to B: to avoid problems with an addressing. If you have more
than one floppy, make them E:, F: etc. if you have an additional
floppy interfaces.

Eldar A. Musaev, Ph.D., Researcher,          eldar@lomi.spb.su
Mathematical Institute of Academy of Sciences, Leningrad, USSR

FTHSMULD@rulgl.LeidenUniv.nl (Jeroen W. Pluimers / Jeroen Smulders) (03/06/91)

>>From:    eldar@lomi.spb.su (Eldar A. Musaev)
>>That is very simple, if you have only one floppy. Open your computer
>>and set DIP switches and cable connections to make A: as B:...
>
>I used to think that this would work also but was chagrined (shimatta)
>to learn that many PC BIOSes check for floppy A as part of POST and
>will generate a "601" error and halt the boot process if drive A does
>not respond to the controller.

Older BIOS versions will bump if they don't find a disk-drive.  Some
BIOS versions will boot from drive B: Best solution I have found is to
disconnect the disk-drives (pull the data-connector out of the
disk-drive) or modify the CMOS.

Both methods are incompatible with some BIOS versions, so be arware!

A may-be solution is to use an encreption method on the hard-disk for
which the user has to us a password, or modify your BIOS to disable
floppy-disk booting.  These methods are very tricky and only suitable
for people that know what they are doing.

>(about difference between writing virusses for Mac or PC)
>magnatude less than producing a good word processor. Also in the PC, a
>user must request a boot/execution of a virus while a MAC will execute
>floppy code without being asked. The "scan on floppy insertion" is
>possible (and should be a part of any good protection scheme) on the
>PC, it just hasn't been done yet (or has it, I am sometimes behind ?).

In the PC that is rather difficult. It is possible if you dig into DOS
very deep. This would be incompatible for many DOS versions.  It is a
very good idea however, but the PC doesn't give a signal when a new
disk inserted. Only a changeline-signale if the drive door has been
opened.

I'll pass this suggestion over to the author of TBSCAN.

From:    James Ford <JFORD@UA1VM.BITNET>

>The file "innoc.zip" has been replaced with a new version.  This new
>version has the following files in it:

Where can I get this? And what is INNOC?

- ------------------------------

>From:    p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade)
>
>VPCSCAN is amazingly fast.  File checking is at least twice as fast as
>either FPROT or SCAN across all platforms tested.

Another amazingly fast product is TBSCAN. Where can I upload this -
public domain - virus scanning product?

        Jeroen W. Pluimers     work:  +31-71-274245   9.00-17.00 CET
        P.O. Box 266           home:  +31-2522-11809 19:00-23:00 CET
        2170 AG Sassenheim     email: 2:281/521 or 2:281/515.3
        The Netherlands        email: PLUIMERS@HLERUL5.BITNET