[comp.virus] Confusion of names

p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) (03/09/91)

ccx020@cck.coventry.ac.uk (James Nash) writes:

> I have a copy of a virus that seems to confuse the various virus
> checkers I'm evaluating (and trying to convince my superiors to buy
> lots of!!!).
>
> Fridik's F-PROT calls it Plastique
> McAffee's SCAN calls it Taiwan 3 (as does AVSEARCH)
> Solomon's FINDVIRUS calls it Anticad 2

If you look up the FILVIR-2.TXT that came with the FPROT package, you
will see that they are all variants of the same family, albeit quite
different.

Naming conventions have been a difficulty for a ong time, especially
since so many viri are modifications of others.

Q - How many virus writers does it take to change a lightbulb?
A - 17.  One to change the bulb, and an average of 16 to watch him do it,
and then all try it again a slightly different way ...

Vancouver          p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca   | "It says 'Hit any
Institute for      Robert_Slade@mtsg.sfu.ca | key to continue.'
Research into      (SUZY) INtegrity         | I can't find the
User               Canada V7K 2G6           | 'Any' key on my
Security                                    | keyboard."