[comp.virus] Standarized virus signatures

FTHSMULD@rulgl.LeidenUniv.nl (Jeroen W. Pluimers / Jeroen Smulders) (03/05/91)

Friday, 22 Feb 1991, Jim Pinson wrote:

> noticed that som eof them (virus-scan programs) can use an external file
> containing virus signatures. This seems very usefull......
> There does not seem to be a standard format of these files

Well, there is some sort of standard. IT is being used by VIRSCAN,
HTSCAN and TBSCAN/TBSCANX.

The file consists of a list of signatures. All lines atrting with ;
are considered to be a comment.  Every signature has three lines. The
first line contains the virus name (Jerusalem-B) for instance. The
second line consists of keywords BOOT COM or EXE (and defines the type
of infection).  The third line has the virus signature (a HEX string
of bytes).

There is some provision for byte skips and random bytes.

I don't have the format handy, but if anyone is interested, I can post
the full specs.

Jeroen W. Pluimers - Gorleaus Labs, Leiden University

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (03/13/91)

Should virus identification strings be published in hex form ?

My personal opinion is that they should be kept secret or published in
an encrypted form.

The reason is quite simple - anybody who obtains a copy of the virus
can easily patch the section containing the published signature
string, in order to make it non-detectable by any scanner using that
string.

Another danger of publishing the strings is that several scanners
might use the same strings - so no extra security would be gained by
using multiple scanners - if a new variant of an old virus appears,
they would all fail or all succeed in finding it.

- -frisk