[comp.virus] Preformatted disks, flopticals, etc.

CAH0@gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (03/13/91)

padgett%tccslr.dnet@uvs1.orl.mmc.com (Padgett Peterson) writes:

>         Now consider that these drives arrive pre-formatted from the
> manufacturer and many CANNOT be low-level formatted (the same goes for
> the new 20 Mb 3 1/2 flopticals).

I'm not familiar with DOS / x86 systems, and this was a surprise.  Why
can't the disks be formatted?  Is the problem related to software or
hardware, or both?

- - Chuck Hoffman, GTE Laboratories, Inc.  |  I'm not sure why we're here,
cah0@bunny.gte.com                       |  but I am sure that while we're
Telephone (U.S.A.) 617-466-2131          |  here, we're supposed to help
GTE VoiceNet: 679-2131                   |  each other.
GTE Telemail: C.HOFFMAN                  |