[comp.virus] Research viruses

XRJDM@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Joe McMahon) (03/05/91)

Research viruses: just say no.

Case in point: the purported author of the Scores virus, who is
reportedly under arrest at the moment, wrote in the documentation for
the Vaxene program (which removes Scores) that s/he never expected the
virus to get loose.

A research virus. A fine and a jail term. Thanks, I'll pass. I have
enough troubles. If you have all of this inventive energy, why not
write a real program and get some real recognition for your talents?

 --- Joe M.

keir@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rick Keir, MACC) (03/08/91)

XRJDM@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Joe McMahon) writes...

>Research viruses: just say no.

(goes on to quote rumor that the Mac Scores virus author "didn't
expect it to get out", with implication that it was a "research"
virus.)

Several points:
I said "rumor" since no one has ever admitted to being the author of
Scores (numerous news stories in MacWeek, etc., quoting FBI and EDS
officials as saying they "suspect" they know who it it -- i.e. no one
has said they're the one).  This makes is hard for the Vaxene
documentation to quote the author of Scores in any believable fashion.

Second, the comment about "didn't expect it to get out" is also
subject to the interpretation that he/she meant "I just thought I'd
screw up computers at EDS in Dallas and not anyone else's computers."

While Scores does specifically target internally developed software of
EDS, it infects all bootable systems and all applications that it
comes in contact with, and does not distinguish the EDS systems from
any other.  This makes a claim that he/she was surprised by its spread
not very believable.

"Research" is becoming the computer equivalent of the claim that "I
didn't know the gun was loaded", whether uttered by the virus writer
or by the geek who abuses the net.  Research is noted for :
publication, sharing of information, useful purpose, and most
importantly ETHICS OVERVIEW by one's peers.  The so-called research of
the average virus writer would fail on all counts: no knowledge is
published; there is no knowledge to be gained; and no group of one's
peers would judge the writing and release of the virus to be ethical.
There can be useful research done on viruses, and for those purposes
viruses may be written; however, those authors are working openly,
publishing their work, and experimenting in conditions that prevent
the spread of a virus to the general public.  I can count the number
of legitimate researchers I know of on one hand, and have fingers left
over.

CAH0@gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (03/13/91)

keir@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rick Keir, MACC) writes:
> I can count the number
> of legitimate researchers I know of on one hand, and have fingers left
> over.

I'll bet I know which finger(s)!

I agree that "research" has become synonomous with "experimenting."
Someone who is trying something out, unsupervised, with no intention
of publishing, and with no go/nogo decision by peers with respect to
ethics, may be "experimenting," but hardly is doing "research" in the
sense that professional researchers use it.

I guess I might note the same about about the use of the term
"ethics."  Same thing.  Someone trying to understand the ethics of a
situation, but unsupervised, with no intention of publishing or a
go/nogo decision by peers, may be "deciding" about something, but
hardly is going through the process of ethics review in the sense that
professionals do.

- - Chuck Hoffman, GTE Laboratories, Inc.  |  I'm not sure why we're here,
cah0@bunny.gte.com                       |  but I am sure that while we're
Telephone (U.S.A.) 617-466-2131          |  here, we're supposed to help
GTE VoiceNet: 679-2131                   |  each other.
GTE Telemail: C.HOFFMAN                  |

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (03/16/91)

Research ethics are fairly well defined in other fields, and can be
extended to computer viruses with a little thought.

For instance, a researcher working on flu virus strains would be
ethically (and legally) responsible for a mutated virus escaping into
the population at large.  Saying "I'm sorry -- I didn't mean for it to
happen" is not an excuse.  Good intentions do not substitute for
taking precautions.

Research on (computer) viruses that escape into the general population
are clearly unethical because they affect subjects who have not given
their informed consent to be part of the "experiment," and there is no
way to end the "experiment."  Also, there is no valid control for the
experiment (e.g., "What would be the results in a similar population
for the null hypothesis?").

Worse, most people "experimenting" doen't understand the basics of
good scientific method.  Research by writing viruses to see what
happens is akin to throwing chemicals in a test tube to see if it
explodes.  Proper experimental research procedure requires that you
establish a hypothesis that can be tested, establish a test with
controls, and then analyze your test results with respect to the
hypothesis.

Some of the people who claim they are doing "research" in viruses and
related areas are doing no such thing.  I have refereed papers for
professional forums that show a surprising lack of understanding of
the basic principles of science or ethics -- then these individuals
complain they are being "conspired against" because they can't get
their work published.  Sad.
- --
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,
Dept. of Computer Sciences, Purdue University, W. Lafayette IN 47907-2004
Internet:  spaf@cs.purdue.edu	phone:  (317) 494-7825