[comp.virus] IBM VIRSCAN version

p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) (03/15/91)

MICKLE@CSMCMVAX.BITNET (David K. Mickle) writes:

> I got my copy through our PC vendor, Microage of Beverly Hills.  They
> obtained it at my request from their IBM rep who downloaded it from an
> IBM internal service.  The version number 1.51 is correct.

My understanding is that, until March 8th, the correct "public" version
of IBM's VIRSCAN product was 1.3, 1.51 being a corresponding "internal"
product.  However, I believe version 2.00.01 is now available for both
internal and public use.

I'm sure David will correct any errors i've made :-)

=============
Vancouver          p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca   | You realize, of
Institute for      Robert_Slade@mtsg.sfu.ca | course, that these
Research into      (SUZY) INtegrity         | new facts do not
User               Canada V7K 2G6           | coincide with my
Security                                    | preconceived ideas

CHESS@YKTVMV.BITNET (David.M.Chess) (03/22/91)

p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) writes:

>MICKLE@CSMCMVAX.BITNET (David K. Mickle) writes:
>
>> I got my copy through our PC vendor, Microage of Beverly Hills.  They
>> obtained it at my request from their IBM rep who downloaded it from an
>> IBM internal service.  The version number 1.51 is correct.
>
>My understanding is that, until March 8th, the correct "public" version
>of IBM's VIRSCAN product was 1.3, 1.51 being a corresponding "internal"
>product.  However, I believe version 2.00.01 is now available for both
>internal and public use.

Quite right.  David's vendor's IBM rep apparently downloaded the
internal version (at that time numbered 1.51) instead of the product
version (at that time numbered, on a different track, 1.3).  The
now-converged numbering should have (finally!)  fixed this sort of
thing!  So we should soon be able to stop taking up space on VIRUS-L
with it...  *8)

DC