[comp.virus] Info on virus products wanted - PD and commercial

wcs@erebus.att.com (William Clare Stewart) (03/16/91)

What products are out there to deal with viruses?  I'm especially
interested in products to clean up virused disks, as well as
detection.  I've tried looking at the archives on beach.gal.*, but
unfortunately they seem to be in PKARC or ZIP forms which I'm not able
to decode on my UNIX system (I've got regular ARC, and the unzip stuff
I've found in the archives doesn't seem to work on System V.)  Are
there other archive sites?

Aside from a problem at work, which we've mostly cleaned out now, the
person whose machine was infected says his kid says all the PCs at
school have the same problem (Jerusalem-B black spots), so we're
trying to find a public-domain cleanup solution.

( The commercial products I've seen require licensing, which I doubt
the school would spring for, and I'd rather not see them ripping off
code which is presumably what got them in this trouble.  Do any of the
commercial products allow schools to use them free?)

				Pray for peace;
					Bill
# Bill Stewart 908-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs AT&T Bell Labs 4M-312 Holmdel NJ
# Hacker.  System Designer.  Troublemaker.

p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) (03/23/91)

wcs@erebus.att.com (William Clare Stewart) writes:

> ( The commercial products I've seen require licensing, which I doubt
> the school would spring for, and I'd rather not see them ripping off
> code which is presumably what got them in this trouble.  Do any of the
> commercial products allow schools to use them free?)

I have received one "freeware" (copyright, but no charge for use) package
from Holland, Thunderbyte Scan.  It has three components, a scanner
(TBSCAN), a TSR scanner (TBSCANX) and a disk boot recovery utility
(TBRESC).  Thus, although it does not have a "disinfect" function, it
will indentify files infected with viri so that they can be replaced with
originals, and it will allow floppy boot sectors to be replaced.

I have also seen a program distributed as VC3-2.ZIP, which contains
version 3.2 of a program called "Victor Charlie", of which version 4.0
will apparently be commercial.  This appears to be "change detection"
software.

Aside from that, I recommend FPROT as the cheapest and best "value for
cost" of all the antiviral products yet reviewed.  frisks "licenses" for
educational use are $1 per computer per year as of version 1.14.

Vancouver          p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca   | You realize, of
Institute for      Robert_Slade@mtsg.sfu.ca | course, that these
Research into      (SUZY) INtegrity         | new facts do not
User               Canada V7K 2G6           | coincide with my
Security                                    | preconceived ideas