[comp.virus] Mutation of Stoned

IPBR400@INDYCMS.BITNET (Pat Ralston) (03/01/91)

We have found a mutation of the Stoned or Stoned II virus.  McAfee's
VIRUSCAN version 74B reports Stoned, but ONLY on FLOPPY disks.
Version 74B cannot find Stoned on the hard disk.  However, when using
Norton Disk Editor we find the following message in the Partition
Table" "Your PC is now Stoned!  LEGALISE".  Please note that Legalise
is NOT spelled with a Z as in other versions and is in all uppercase
letters.

Any help will be appreciated.  We have performed a low level format of
the hard drive but we have retained copies of the virus on floppy
disks.  The virus was found by one of our alert student consultants in
our open computers clusters.  Due to the nature of our clusters this
virus may have spread quickly through the university.  We are in hopes
that we have contained it, however.

PAT RALSTON  BITNET: IPBR400@INDYCMS
IUPUI  (Indiana University - Purdue University at Indianapolis)

CHESS@YKTVMV.BITNET (David.M.Chess) (03/22/91)

Pat Ralston <IPBR400@INDYCMS.BITNET> writes:

>We have found a mutation of the Stoned or Stoned II virus.  McAfee's
>VIRUSCAN version 74B reports Stoned, but ONLY on FLOPPY disks.
>Version 74B cannot find Stoned on the hard disk.  However, when using
>Norton Disk Editor we find the following message in the Partition
>Table" "Your PC is now Stoned!  LEGALISE".  Please note that Legalise
>is NOT spelled with a Z as in other versions and is in all uppercase
>letters.

Now I'm taking an unusual (for me) risk here, as I'm at home with the
tail end of a nasty cold, and can't verify it, but I'm Pretty Sure
that the standard normal everyday Stoned virus spells the word with an
"S" ("LEGALISE").  There are also many cases in which the word
"MARIJUANA" has been overwritten (probably, I am told, by hard disk
controllers that keep some data in an "unused" part of the master boot
record, and overwrite that word in the process).  So my guess would be
that you have the normal vanilla Stoned virus, and 74B just isn't
seeing it on the hard disk for some reason (have you tried 75 yet?).
DC

p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) (03/29/91)

CHESS@YKTVMV.BITNET (David.M.Chess) writes:

> Now I'm taking an unusual (for me) risk here, as I'm at home with the
> tail end of a nasty cold, and can't verify it, but I'm Pretty Sure
> that the standard normal everyday Stoned virus spells the word with an
> "S" ("LEGALISE").  There are also many cases in which the word

Just to confirm David's posting, of the four variants of "Stoned" that I
have, all are spelled "LEGALISE".

Vancouver          p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca   | You realize, of
Institute for      Robert_Slade@mtsg.sfu.ca | course, that these
Research into      (SUZY) INtegrity         | new facts do not
User               Canada V7K 2G6           | coincide with my
Security                                    | preconceived ideas