[comp.virus] Integrity Checking, programs, etc

CCTR132@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (Nick FitzGerald) (03/29/91)

In VIRUS-L V4 #49 frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) wrote:

>padgett%tccslr.dnet@uvs1.orl.mmc.com (Padgett Peterson) writes:
>>NO ! It will not defeat "any kind of integrity check" though "stealth"
>>will defeat SCAN's if the /nomem switch is in use (wish we had italics) While
>>the "stealth" seen so far will defeat a program integrity check, it will NOT
>>defeat a system integrity check (the six bytes).
>
>I don't mean to be insulting, but I have said it before, and I will
>say it again: The six-byte check is no sustitute for a full system
>integrity check!  Athough it will detect most wiruses, it will NOT
>detect them all, in particular it will miss some "stealth" viruses,
>like the "Number of the Beast".

I've been following along for about eight months or so now, and have
seen a few references to the "six-byte check" referred to above, but
don't recall ever seeing an _explanation_ of what this is.

If I've missed something simple or fundamental - common knowledge -
please reply by mail with a description.  If it hasn't appeared here
already (or was a long time ago), is it time to re-post something to
the group.

Thanks,

 Nick FitzGerald, PC Applications Consultant, CSC, Uni of Canterbury, N.Z.
 Internet: n.fitzgerald@csc.canterbury.ac.nz        Phone: (64)(3) 642-337