[comp.virus] Partitions without hidden sectors

padgett%tccslr.dnet@uvs1.orl.mmc.com (Padgett Peterson) (04/04/91)

>From:    con_jdc@selway.umt.edu (John-David Childs)
>Subject: FDISK; partitions starting at 0,0,2; Stoned virus; (PC)

>When used in conjunction with F-DRIVER.SYS at startup, I've had no trouble
>with removing the virus.  If F-DRIVER.SYS or some other detection utility
>was not loaded at startup (F-DRIVER.SYS halts the PC if a virus is
>detected), then Nick's and Padgett's comments about corrupted FAT's
>etc. would be apropos.

I would still recommend that people having disks formatted without "hidden"
sectors whose machines are at risk, do a thorough backup and re-partition the
disk using a version that does provide this added protection. The STONED is
not the only virus that is liable to corrupt a FAT in this manner.

An easy way to check is with DEBUG: load the logical boot sector of the
fixed disk ( L 100 2 0 1 ) and the number of "hidden sectors" is contained
in a double word at offset 11Ch (just the first byte is enough unless someone
has more than 255 "hidden sectors" & that would surprise me). For an MFM drive,
the value should be 11h or 17 "hidden sectors", I think an RLL drive will
report 1Ah (26) and a large disk might report 3Fh (63), but if 0 or 1, I
would expect that the FAT might be at risk.

One of the difficulties of restoring a fixed disk infected with the MusicBug
is that this "hidden sector" value is lost and must be restored (DOS SYS won't)
before the disk will boot properly.

						Padgett