[comp.virus] Mac virus question

XRJDM@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Joe McMahon) (11/06/90)

>From:    "Terry (TR) Roebuck; 966-4841" <ROEBUCK@admin1.usask.ca>
>The machine:
>        MAC SE/30; 4MB & 80 MB Apple drive running 6.04; MAChine purchased
>        in spring of 1989; NEVER EVER BACKED UP!!!!! and holding the
>        entire financial and planning records of a local dept.
Oh dear.
This is bad thing number 1. Not taking backups is the Russian Roulette
of computers. Maybe you won't get hit, and then again...

>        ... Disk
>        seems fine (physically). Only clue was that there were at least 4
>        different versions of the system on the disk; probably the result of
>        poor application install practices ....

Aaaaack!
This is *extremely* bad thing number 2. Doing this kind of thing
almost guarantees that sooner or later the Resource Manager is going
to get confused and start loading from the wrong System file... At
that point it's Katie-bar-the-door; no one can predict exactly what
will happen. Except that it probably will be bad.

The only thing that's at fault here is, as you said, "poor installation
practices". WDEF does not carry any payload which should cause these
kind of problems. However, dropping a virus into an already potentially
bad situation is simply asking for trouble.

Recommendations:
1) Take *all* of the System folders off the disk and reinstall from a
   new set of distribution disks. If you don't have them, write me
   privately and I'll help you get a copy. PLEASE use the Installer!
2) Make up a sign and post it near the Mac saying "Did we do the
   backups?". Even better, make up a startup screen that says the
   same thing. I can help on that if you need advice.

 --- Joe M.

odawa@apple.com (Michael Odawa) (11/09/90)

> In Virus-L 3:181, Joe McMahon <XRJDM@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV> writes,

>> From:    "Terry (TR) Roebuck; 966-4841" <ROEBUCK@admin1.usask.ca>
>> there were at least 4 different versions of the system on the disk...

> This is *extremely* bad thing number 2. Doing this kind of thing
> almost guarantees that sooner or later the Resource Manager is going
> to get confused and start loading from the wrong System file...

Joe is correct in his conclusion, though he reflects a common
misunderstanding about the Mac.  There is nothing in the Macintosh
operating system itself that precludes multiple system files on a
single disk. I have five on mine right now.  The Resource Manager
never gets confused, nor do any of the other O.S. or application
software facilities.  It's all very clear on the inside of the
machine.

What _is_ problematic about multiple system files is that it's
extremely difficult for the _human operators_ to keep track of which
is the "real" System file, without careful and deliberate management
procedures.  Some resources such as fonts, INITs, application
preferences, etc., therefore get thrown into the "wrong" system
folder, yielding a performance profile at variance from what the user
expects.

Therefore Joe is correct in recommending against multiple system
files.  I'd like to extend this warning by offering the following
procedures for managing the Macintosh System file.

1.  Always keep the System Folder in the lower-left corner of the boot
disk's desktop.  Just as maps normally put North at the top, it's useful
to have a convention, and the lower-left corner is both common among
other users and aesthetic to the eye.

2.  Never keep more than one System file on a single disk, unless there
is a strong and persuasive reason to do so.

3.  If there _is_ reason to keep multiple System files, every such file
should be kept in a separate folder which contains the complete set of
system files (i.e., Finder, System, print drivers, etc.) for that
version.  Each of these versions will be a separate operating
environment, so keep a separate copy of your favorite virus scanning
program (such as Disinfectant INIT, SAM, Virex, Rival, etc.) in each
folder.

4.  Each of these full system folders should be clearly labelled with
its distinguishing characteristics (e.g., "System 6.0.7", "System
6.0.4", "KanjiTalk System").  These system folders should all then be
placed into a single folder, which should be labelled "System Folder"
and kept in the lower-left corner.

5.  Use the shareware product Blesser (or equivalent) to switch
between systems.  Be deliberate about which system you use, and always
reboot after changing systems.

6.  Remember that you can always determine which system version is in
use by choosing "About the Finder..." from the Apple Menu when running
the Finder, or by observing which of the sub-folders within the System
Folder contains the Macintosh picture on its Icon.

7.  If you don't know what the Finder is, you shouldn't proceed beyond
step 2 above.   :-)

Happy computing,

Michael Odawa
Simple Software
odawa@well.sf.ca.us

alexis@cmcl2.nyu.edu (Alexis Rosen) (11/09/90)

XRJDM@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Joe McMahon) writes:
>>From:    "Terry (TR) Roebuck; 966-4841" <ROEBUCK@admin1.usask.ca>
>>        ... Disk
>>        seems fine (physically). Only clue was that there were at least 4
>>        different versions of the system on the disk; probably the result of
>>        poor application install practices ....
>
>Aaaaack!
>This is *extremely* bad thing number 2. Doing this kind of thing
>almost guarantees that sooner or later the Resource Manager is going
>to get confused and start loading from the wrong System file... At
>that point it's Katie-bar-the-door; no one can predict exactly what
>will happen. Except that it probably will be bad.

Just a minute... This is a popular rumor that has, as far as I know,
no basis in fact. The res. manager does _not_ get confused (about
that, anyway).

The problem with multiple System files is twofold:
1) On older systems, it wasn't to difficult to crosslaunch and wind up
with a different active system file than the one you booted with.
Like, one without the fonts and DAs you use all the time. Or possibly
even without resources that are needed by drivers or INITs (I'm less
certain of this- need to think about it...)
2) On newer systems (or rather, those which are running MultiFinder),
you can't crosslaunch. The problem is reduced to the possibility of
one of the other systems getting blessed accidentally, with annoying
results.

>2) Make up a sign and post it near the Mac saying "Did we do the
>   backups?". Even better, make up a startup screen that says the
>   same thing. I can help on that if you need advice.

Now that's an idea I like...

- ---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis

maimer@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/10/90)

XRJDM@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Joe McMahon) writes:

> Recommendations:

> 2) Make up a sign and post it near the Mac saying "Did we do the
>    backups?". Even better, make up a startup screen that says the
>    same thing. I can help on that if you need advice.
>
>  --- Joe M.

Some of the backup programs now available have timing abilities to
"remind" the user to do the backup (Mac: "I want to do a backup, quit
and feed me some disks.").  After setting up the program, all the user
has to do is feed the computer the floppies or turn on the tape drive.
These include FastBack II and Retrospect.

If they don't want to get new software, some macro making software
will wait for a specific time and then go through a sequence of
commands which could include backups.  I know AutoMac III will do
this.

	     |\   \\\\__		Anthony Maimer
	     | \_/    o \                       __
	      > _   (( <_                      /  |
	     | / \__+___/                     /   |
	maimer@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu           \     \ \|
	                                     \    |

LEAVITDG@snyplava.bitnet (04/06/91)

Date sent:  6-APR-1991 09:08:52
  a friend of mine has asked a question regarding a mac virus.  I do
not use the mac and know very little about it.  I will relay an answer
if anyone has one. (my friend is on amateur packet radio, and does not
have access to bitnet)