[comp.virus] VPCScan Demo Version

CMCDONALD@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Chris McDonald) (03/28/91)

As a registered user of Ross Greenberg's program Flu-Shot+, I received
a demonstration version of VPCScan of the commercial program Virex-PC
bundled within version 1.8 of Flu-Shot+.  I used the demonstration for
several days, and then purchased the full commercial product.

Since I routinely evaluate security-related software products for my
agency, I had occasion to run the demonstration version on Tuesday, 26
March since I wanted to compare its feature against the actual
commercial product.  I received the following message prior to the
execution of the demo: "This demonstration expires in 6 days."  This
morning I ran the demo again, and the counter was down to "5 days".  I
am waiting with anticipation to see what happens on April 1st.

I must note that the read.me file contained within Flu-Shot+ which
described the demo at no time indicated a shelf life.  In fact, the
file states: "This demo may be distributed freely, but may not be sold
without the express written permission of Microcom, Inc. and Ross M.
Greenberg."  I have no objection to someone offering a demo, or in
encouraging that someone "freely" distribute it under the vendor's
instructions.

I would think that it sure would have been nice to have included some
type of statement in the read.me file alerting REGISTERED, fee paying
customers of Flu-Shot+ of the demo's expiration date--particularly
when it appears April 1st is the drop-dead date.

Since I know Ross has access to this forum, I would simply like to ask
if this was a designed feature on his and Microcom's part, or whether
I perhaps have a "hacked" version of Flu-Shot+.

Chris Mc Donald
cmcdonald@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil

c-rossgr@uunet.uu.net (04/09/91)

>Date:    Wed, 27 Mar 91 11:49:57 -0700
>From:    Chris McDonald <CMCDONALD@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

Sorry for the delay, Chris: why is the last 1% of any new release
always the hardest part to get out the door?

>As a registered user of Ross Greenberg's program Flu-Shot+, I received
>a demonstration version of VPCScan of the commercial program Virex-PC
>bundled within version 1.8 of Flu-Shot+.  I used the demonstration for
>several days, and then purchased the full commercial product.

Ah hah!  The clever marketing ploy worked! You used the demo, then
bought the product.  I'll tell the marketing guy at Microcom - he'll
be pleased.  Don't worry: I get serious in just a sec....

>Since I routinely evaluate security-related software products for my
>agency, I had occasion to run the demonstration version on Tuesday, 26
>March since I wanted to compare its feature against the actual
>commercial product.  I received the following message prior to the
>execution of the demo: "This demonstration expires in 6 days."  This
>morning I ran the demo again, and the counter was down to "5 days".  I
>am waiting with anticipation to see what happens on April 1st.
>
>I must note that the read.me file contained within Flu-Shot+ which
>described the demo at no time indicated a shelf life.  In fact, the
>file states: "This demo may be distributed freely, but may not be sold
>without the express written permission of Microcom, Inc. and Ross M.
>Greenberg."  I have no objection to someone offering a demo, or in
>encouraging that someone "freely" distribute it under the vendor's
>instructions.
>
>I would think that it sure would have been nice to have included some
>type of statement in the read.me file alerting REGISTERED, fee paying
>customers of Flu-Shot+ of the demo's expiration date--particularly
>when it appears April 1st is the drop-dead date.

You're 100% absolutely right, Chris.  Not sticking in some information
regarding the drop-dead date was a dumb mistake on my part -- I wish I
could blame it on somebody else.

The new scanner (discussed below) has a drop-dead date of September 1,
1991.  Between now and then, I expect to release a number of new
demos, each updated with new features and new strings.  Until the July
release, or thereabout, all of them will have the 9/1/91 drop-dead
date. Starting with the July release the drop-dead date will be
somewhat further removed into the future: I'm not sure what I'll set
it for, but I'll certainly let it be known in advance: a bonehead
mistake like letting the expiration date on the current scanner lapse
before releasing the new one should never have happened.

Did I mention how much I hate Windows at all recently? :-)

Picking a date back in October of 1990 (allowing for what was supposed
to be six months of operation sounded so good on paper, too: I never
thought about an expiry of April 1 having any significance.  Yeah,
that was dumb, too.)

>Since I know Ross has access to this forum, I would simply like to ask
>if this was a designed feature on his and Microcom's part, or whether
>I perhaps have a "hacked" version of Flu-Shot+.

Nope.  No hacked version of the code.  Just stupidity on my part.
However, now that I'm done with the Windows version of the code, I've
gotten some commonsense back.

I'm better now! :-)

Ross M. Greenberg
 Author, Virex-PC & FLU_SHOT+

Disclaimer: These are my opinions only.  Chances are good that
Microsoft thinks that Windows programming is good clean fun, building
character or something.....