[comp.virus] Modems

padgett%tccslr.dnet@uvs1.orl.mmc.com (A. Padgett Peterson) (04/09/91)

>From:    pcsbbs!fff@uunet.uu.net

>If I connect to a site where I always initiate the call, only exchange
>email and receive netnews, am I subject to receiving a virus.  My
>modem is never left on and the port is not enabled for a login.

With a single restriction, you are not subject to a virus under these
conditions. The sole caveat being that you are not connected to a system
the performs on-line updates to the communications software in your PC.
(the PC software would have to permit this, it cannot be done unilaterally)
Since I know of several commercial packages that appear to have this
capability and do not know which you are using, the restriction may or may
not apply.