[comp.virus] Am I subject to viruses?

fff@uunet.uu.net (04/06/91)

I know that this is the kind of question that only a novice would ask.
Well, I am a *rank* novice in Usenet, UUCP, and telecommunications in
general.  Please bear with me.  The question is:

If I connect to a site where I always initiate the call, only exchange
email and receive netnews, am I subject to receiving a virus.  My
modem is never left on and the port is not enabled for a login.

If the answer to the above is yes, how can I protect my system.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Frank Fiamingo

pandy@vipunen.hut.fi (Pandy Holmberg) (04/11/91)

pcsbbs!fff@uunet.uu.net writes:

   I know that this is the kind of question that only a novice would ask.
   Well, I am a *rank* novice in Usenet, UUCP, and telecommunications in
   general.  Please bear with me.  The question is:

   If I connect to a site where I always initiate the call, only exchange
   email and receive netnews, am I subject to receiving a virus.  My
   modem is never left on and the port is not enabled for a login.

The answer is NO. As long as you just use your computer as a terminal.
As soon as you start downloading files, the danger appears...

And how to protect yourself against viruses, well, my friend, I
wouldn't know, since I do not know what kind of computer you use...

                    Tsaukki says
                              Pandy
 --
"All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door."

       /! !   Andreas "Pandy" Holmberg             pandy@hut.fi
      /_!_!   Helsinki University of Technology    pandy@spiff.hut.fi
     /  ! !   Faculty of Electrical Engineering    pandy@otax.hut.fi
    /   ! !                                        s37775d@taltta.hut.fi

news@umd5.umd.edu (USENET) (04/11/91)

Pandy Holmberg writes:
>pcsbbs!fff@uunet.uu.net writes:
>
>>   I know that this is the kind of question that only a novice would ask.
>>   Well, I am a *rank* novice in Usenet, UUCP, and telecommunications in
>>   general.  Please bear with me.  The question is:
>>
>>   If I connect to a site where I always initiate the call, only exchange
>>   email and receive netnews, am I subject to receiving a virus.  My
>>   modem is never left on and the port is not enabled for a login.
>
>The answer is NO. As long as you just use your computer as a terminal.
>As soon as you start downloading files, the danger appears...

	HOLD IT!  IF he uses his computer only as a terminal then he
is safe.  However, it is not clear that is what he does.

	He mentions USENET and UUCP.  He says that he initiates the
call to exchange email and netnews.  He says that the port is not
enabled for login.  That implies to me that he is running his own Unix
machine and uses UUCP to send and receive email and netnews.  That
means that he is transferring files.  Even worse it means that he
allows "rmail" and "rnews" to be remotely executed on his machine.  I
don't know what software and version he is running, but it is possible
that there may be deliberate or accidental trapdoors in that software.
Just after the Internet worm incident, there was some discussion on
whether or not something similiar to the sendmail or fingerd attack
could take place via UUCP.  I don't remember the conclusion, but I
wouldn't want to guarantee that he is safe.  If he is concerned,
taking a few minutes to look at the source code for "rmail" and
"rnews" would not be unreasonable.

				Bill Bogstad

p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) (04/11/91)

pcsbbs!fff@uunet.uu.net writes:

> If I connect to a site where I always initiate the call, only exchange
> email and receive netnews, am I subject to receiving a virus.  My
> modem is never left on and the port is not enabled for a login.

Actually, your question, even as specific as you have made it (and
thank you for all the details you *have* given) is not completely
straightforward.

First point: what is your local machine?  If it is a PC, and you are
using it just as a terminal, you should be almost completely safe.  I
say "almost", because there are instances of codes imbedded in text
that can gain "access" to the low levels of your machine, but they
would be very much subject to the specific terminal program you are
using, and the configuration both of it and of your PC.  As these
codes have so far been seen only in "trojan" situations, and given the
configuration specific nature, this is highly unlikely to be of
concern to you.

If you are using a workstation, and connecting in a network or
pseudonetwork configuration (I am extrapolating from your comment
about the port not being enabled for a login) you may possibly be at
greater risk

If you are simply using a terminal, you may still be subject to a
"denial of access" viral situation, although you would be safe from
local data loss.  Some terminals (and I won't go into details because
they are available in back issues of VIRUS-L) will accept text as
commands to "remap" the keybaord, and then to "send" the remapped
commands.  These "new" commands can, of course, be of the nature of
"forward this message to everyone I know", and thus create a mail
virus.

Vancouver          p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca   | "Is it plugged in?"
Institute for      Robert_Slade@mtsg.sfu.ca | "I can't see."
Research into      (SUZY) INtegrity         | "Why not?"
User               Canada V7K 2G6           | "The power's off
Security                                    |  here."