[comp.virus] How big is the virus problem ??

UMCKA04@VAXA.CC.IMPERIAL.AC.UK (04/08/91)

After reading VIRUS-L for over a year now, I am still getting the
impression that the true magnitude of the problem is unknown. This
would seem to be especially so in the corporate domain, as I suspect
many companies are reluctant to publicise details of their misfortunes
fearing the poor publicity that is often associated with such releases
(ie. Aldus recalling 5000 Freehand packages ...). Sales of anti-viral
software may not be giving a true indication either, as the media
'hype' may be distorting the true scale of the problem.

I am not suggesting that viruses are not a problem (I too have been
hit :-), but I would be very interested in hearing peoples estimates of
the SCALE of the problem, and reading any material that people may
have regarding this. I would be happy to summarise and post to this
board all the feedback that I get.

Thanks very much,

             Alistair.

padgett%tccslr.dnet@uvs1.orl.mmc.com (Padgett Peterson) (04/10/91)

>From:    UMCKA04@VAXA.CC.IMPERIAL.AC.UK

I have seen figures that seem reasonable from personal experience that
large sites (over 1000 PCs) rarely have a month go by without a confirmed
virus report. (and I am SICK of the Jerusalem and Stoned).

p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) (04/11/91)

UMCKA04@VAXA.CC.IMPERIAL.AC.UK writes:

> hit :-), but I would be very interested in hearing peoples estimates of
> the SCALE of the problem, and reading any material that people may

The last few issues of Information Week have published scattered
excerpts of a study by Certus International.  Although no details of
methodology are given, beyond the statement that 150 corporations were
surveyed, they state that 26% of companies were hit by an infection
(on one or more PC's) in January of 1991.  Over half of the companies
had been affected at one time.

Certus is also stating that the problem (in terms of number of
infections) is growing at the rate of 160% per quarter.

The figures may be inflated by "self selection" factors, or they may
be lowered because of privacy concerns.

Vancouver          p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca   | "Is it plugged in?"
Institute for      Robert_Slade@mtsg.sfu.ca | "I can't see."
Research into      (SUZY) INtegrity         | "Why not?"
User               Canada V7K 2G6           | "The power's off
Security                                    |  here."