[comp.virus] Infoworld article

padgett%tccslr.dnet@uvs1.orl.mmc.com (A. Padgett Peterson) (04/11/91)

>From:    sharp@mizar.usc.edu (Malcolm Sharp)

>In the April 1, 1991 issue of Infoworld, John Gantz in his column
>"Tech Street" warned of a virus called "AF/91"...

>In the same issue, columnist Robert Cringely discussed Windows 3.0
>vulnerability to viruses saying it "has lots of holes for custom
>viruses to slip through."

Of the two, I consider the Cringely article far more dangerous. Mr.
Gantz clearly stated at the end that "AF" meant "April Fool" and the
concepts were plainly ludicrous.

Mr. Cringely, however, is echoing out of context some mythconceptions
concerning Windows. Windows is a colletion of programs. It makes use
of certain "undocumented" constructs and capabilities in MS-DOS just
as NetWare DOS. The error cones in the implication that there is no
way to protect against malicious software that exploits these "holes".
This is completely erroneous !

The "holes" are simply alternate paths used for disk and OS access
that will bypass a conventional Int 13 or Int 21 "trap" that is
layered on after DOS has loaded. These are easily plugged by a system
that places its "traps" <italics on> before DOS has loaded <italics
off> for hardware access, and understands the special hardware where
networks are involved. (ROM pointers are still present, the protection
software just must know how to find them.

To me, this comes under the same heading as last year's reports of the
"invisible stealth" viruses that could not be detected. BALDERDASH.

For example, many people are surprised to find that their machine has
become infected in the partition table from an "accidental" floppy
boot. If the partition table (MBR) code just checked three things such
infections (like BRAIN & STONED) would have never spread:

 1) Can I trust myself
 2) Can I trust the disk access
 3) Can I trust the MBR on the disk

Such checking can be done in about 20 additional bytes.

What is needed is a comprehensive integrity management scheme that is
invisible to the user but encapsulates the OS. The sooner a vendor
comes up with a good mechanism (and it would be easiest for
MicroSoft), the sooner the public will quit worrying about hundreds of
"unkillable" viruses in PCs.

Oh well, the incredible diversity of virus checking programs out there
makes it difficult for malicious software to be able to defeat
everything. Maybe that is a good.

					Warmly,
						Padgett

ps I left a similar message on Mr. Cringely's voice mail system. It
   has not been returned. app

nolan@uunet.UU.NET (Michael Nolan) (04/14/91)

Try cringe@mcimail.com.  You're much more likely to get a reply by e-mail.