[comp.virus] Norton's Antiviral program Question

axtlp@acad2.alaska.edu (PIKEY TAM L) (04/12/91)

I have heard there was an article in a mag. comparing Norton's
antiviral to McAfee's scan and that the Norton's program failed to
identify the Stoned virus.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

				Tam Pikey
				axtlp@alaska.bitnet
				axtlp@acad2.alaska.edu

p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) (04/17/91)

axtlp@acad2.alaska.edu (PIKEY TAM L) writes:

> I have heard there was an article in a mag. comparing Norton's
> antiviral to McAfee's scan and that the Norton's program failed to
> identify the Stoned virus.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

In my testing of the Norton Antivirus program (see the reviews in the
cert and MIBSRV archives) it identified 3 versions of the Stoned
virus.  I do not have copies of the "Stoned II/Donald Duck" versions,
so I can't vouch for that.

Vancouver          p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca   | "Don't buy a
Institute for      Robert_Slade@mtsg.sfu.ca |     computer."
Research into      (SUZY) INtegrity         | Richards' First
User               Canada V7K 2G6           | Law of Data
Security                                    | Security