[comp.virus] The National Computer Security Association

kdante@nsf.gov (04/12/91)

Does anyone know anything about this group?  It is stationed in
Washington, D.C., and "conducts research on computer security
problems, evaluates computer security products, and presents its
findings to the public." (Taken from its brochure.)  It has a free BBS
with 9300 files for downloading "certified virus-free."

Katherine J. Dante
National Science Foundation
kdante@nsf.gov

ilan@eesun.gwu.edu (Ilan Berkner) (04/18/91)

kdante@nsf.gov writes:
>Does anyone know anything about this group?  It is stationed in
>Washington, D.C., and "conducts research on computer security
>problems, evaluates computer security products, and presents its
>findings to the public." (Taken from its brochure.)  It has a free BBS
>with 9300 files for downloading "certified virus-free."

Yes, I have heard of this group and I did actually deal with them in
the past.  They seem to be very well organized and capable.  I believe
that for a small fee, last time I checked ($45) one could purchase a
full clean up utility and get their monthly report on any new viruses
and whats out there.  They also have I think if memory serves me right
on line help via the phone and the modem as you mentioned above.  If
you need anything more specific then send me E-mail and I'll try to
dig up my old information about them.  I remember I had to do a report
on viruses for one of my CS classes and they came in very handy.

Ilan -- ilan@seas.gwu.edu
- --
-
You only live once, so enjoy it.