[comp.virus] Viraphobia

epan@jarthur.Claremont.edu (Eric C. Pan) (04/17/91)

	I am getting tire of all the people whose hair stand on ends
at the mentioning of viruses.  I think April Fool's Day is a nice way
to relax....
	I believe some people are too easily paniced by any mentioning
of virus.  I am beginning to wonder if you will believe me if I claim
that the human acquired immune deficiency syndrome, i.e. the HIV virus
is spreading to computer. Gosh, I am tired of all the people who ask
me to check their disks for viruses everytime they get a system error,
or their drive makes a funny sound.
	Track Record so far? Out of 20 some people I helped, none of
them have ANY VIRAL INFECTION. NONE! And yet everyday, someone would
scream "Computer Virus" because they crashed their system, sometimes
because they pushed their reset button.
	Is there someway we can stop this PARANOIA?  I think sueing
anyone who bring up virus as a joke is definitely not a solution.

CHGS02@vaxb.strath.ac.uk (A.M.MAIR) (04/19/91)

epan@jarthur.Claremont.edu (Eric C. Pan) writes:
> 	I am getting tire of all the people whose hair stand on ends
> at the mentioning of viruses.  I think April Fool's Day is a nice way
> to relax....
> 	I believe some people are too easily paniced by any mentioning
> of virus.  I am beginning to wonder if you will believe me if I claim
> that the human acquired immune deficiency syndrome, i.e. the HIV virus
> is spreading to computer. Gosh, I am tired of all the people who ask
> me to check their disks for viruses everytime they get a system error,
> or their drive makes a funny sound.
> 	Track Record so far? Out of 20 some people I helped, none of
> them have ANY VIRAL INFECTION. NONE! And yet everyday, someone would
> scream "Computer Virus" because they crashed their system, sometimes
> because they pushed their reset button.
> 	Is there someway we can stop this PARANOIA?  I think sueing
> anyone who bring up virus as a joke is definitely not a solution.

Consider yourself lucky not to be dealing with virus.  We now *have*
to scan publically used machines daily at this university.
Personally, I find "ping" or "stoned" (now being reported as
"stoned/swedish") being brought in on students' floppies.

Ann

keir@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rick Keir, MACC) (04/20/91)

Viruses are indeed a problem.  We had our 100+ student open computer
lab hit with Scores & nVIR several years ago, and we've had viruses
here ever since.  The PCs have had Brain, Joshi, Ping, and others.  So
the AF/91 joke didn't bother us at all.  You HAVE to be vigilant
because there are many REAL viruses out there.  You don't have to be
obsessive because someone announces one more virus (in an article that
was clearly a joke for anything other than the extremely casual hasty
reader; anyone who reads things that poorly should not operate
computers in any case, as there are far more deadly surprises waiting
for them than an April Fool's joke).

Look, if someone announces a new sexually transmitted disease, and
they turn out to be wrong, are you hurt by practicing safe sex?  No
- --- only a fool believes that things are safe now in any case.

epan@jarthur.Claremont.edu (Eric C. Pan) (04/20/91)

	Allow me to comment further on this subject.  You would be
mistaken to think that I did not have to deal with viruses..... I can
remember several incidents of major virus infection.  One machine
actually had 99% of its applications infected ( and it's 200Mb )
	But what we have implemented at our school seems to be
effective at stopping the spread of viri.  I believe all of them have
Virex init installed.  While that may not be able to stop everything
that comes along, you certainly would not have to scan your machine
daily ( personally, I consider that a terrible waste of manpower, use
programs to fight programs.... don't use people.!)
					Eric