[comp.virus] 12-Tricks Trojan

HRZ090@DE0HRZ1A.BITNET (Dr. Martin Erdelen) (04/22/91)

Hello antiviralists,

it seems that the Twelve Tricks Trojan (or has it upgraded to virus by
now?)  has reached our university. At least, a user reports that a
certain ANTIVIR (which one?) reports an infection.  I have not yet
looked at the respective hard disks myself, so this is all a bit
vague.

Now, I am experiencing difficulties to retrieve relevant information
for 12-tricks. For instance, I cannot find an entry in Pat Hoffman's
VSUM9010 (I know it's not the latest one...). Am I missing a synonym
for 12-tricks?

The only info I could find up to now is the (first) warning, on
VALERT-L, by Christoph Fischer, issued on February 12, 1990.  I have
also done a database search on the VIRUS-L archives, but have not yet
retrieved the relevant issues (Is there a way to extract only *part*
of the digests? They're all several hundred lines long, and I have to
get them across the Big Pond... And I really need only the
12-trick-relevant bits.)

Would anybody point me to more recent information on the subject,
please?  Has this developped into a major epidemic or is it still
rare?

Thanks in advance for any help.
MArtin

    (~  , ,
   (___/__/__-_
Dr. Martin Erdelen     EARN/BITNET: HRZ090 at DE0HRZ1A
- -Computing Centre-
University of Essen    +----------------------------------------------+
 Schuetzenbahn 70      |                                              |
  D-4300 Essen 1       |             No witty remark.                 |
      Germany          |                                              |
Acknowledge-To: <HRZ090@DE0HRZ1A>

padgett%tccslr.dnet@uvs1.orl.mmc.com (A. Padgett Peterson) (04/23/91)

>From:    "Dr. Martin Erdelen" <HRZ090@DE0HRZ1A.BITNET>

>At least, a user reports that a certain ANTIVIR (which one?) reports
>an infection.

Some versions of VIRUSCIDE (Parsons Technology) contain the "12
Tricks" signature string & will cause this indication from a number of
other anti-viral programs.

                                    Warmly,
                                           Padgett