[comp.virus] Azusa Virus Found on factory diskettes

rmartin@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Robert Martin) (04/23/91)

The Azusa virus has appeared at DTRC.  While checking software for
viruses, I found the Azusa virus on several diskettes belonging to a
systems I was checking out.  Upon further investigation, I made a
startling discovery.  The Azusa virus was found on one of the VGA
utilities disks.

This disk was a 5 1/4 1.2mb HD floppy and was factory read only (no
notch).  The virus was on disk one of a three disk set.

The disks were labeled TVGA - 8916.  According to the manual, TVGA is
a trademark of "Trident Microsystems, Inc.

I notified our supplier of this finding and had them check their
remaining supply of TVGA software and they verified that ALL of their
disk one of three TVGA - 8916 utilities disks were infected with the
Azusa virus.

This supplier told me that at least 10,000 TVGA units per week are
being distributed worldwide by many suppliers.

I would suggest that if you have these drivers, they should not be
used until verified to be virus-free.

	   Good Luck ....... Bob

padgett%tccslr.dnet@uvs1.orl.mmc.com (A. Padgett Peterson) (04/24/91)

>From:    rmartin@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Robert Martin)

>This disk was a 5 1/4 1.2mb HD floppy and was factory read only (no
>notch).  The virus was on disk one of a three disk set.

>The disks were labeled TVGA - 8916.  According to the manual, TVGA is
>a trademark of "Trident Microsystems, Inc.

Bring in the lawyers ! We need some civil actions to force manufacturers
to take due care (I'm amazed it hasn't happened before).

					Warmly, Padgett