[comp.virus] Zenith Dos Writes

AIL0@NS.CC.LEHIGH.EDU (Arthur I. Larky) (04/23/91)

Some versions (or maybe all versions) of Zenith MSDOS write the date
and time someplace in the system every time you write a file.  If you
have a system without a real-time clock, you can prove this by not
setting date and time when you boot up.  It will be set to the time of
the last file write.  This does, of course, upset all kinds of
virus-hunting programs.
  (I have, on occasion, taken advantage of this property of my Zenith
158).
  Art Larky
  Professor, CSEE Dept
  Lehigh University

padgett%tccslr.dnet@uvs1.orl.mmc.com (A. Padgett Peterson) (04/24/91)

>From:    AIL0@NS.CC.LEHIGH.EDU (Arthur I. Larky)

>Some versions (or maybe all versions) of Zenith MSDOS write the date
>and time someplace in the system every time you write a file.

Think this is only on models 158 & 159. ATs do not seem to exhibit
this. Have seen it with ZDOS 3.0-3.3 - writes to the C drive boot
record (not the MBR).  Different locations with each OS. Possible that
if you zero the locations in the boot record (just the ones it writes)
it might stop writing but cannot confirm this.

sharp@mizar.usc.edu (Malcolm Sharp) (04/25/91)

Add Zenith models 150/151 to that list.  SCANs of diskettes that are
known to be infected with Stoned have not been detected on these
machines.  However, F-PROT picks them up.  We have a 151 that recently
had its hard drive trashed due to Stoned.  Had been using VSHIELD and
SCAN (first ver64, then 76, 76C).  ???