[comp.virus] Viruses and Database Systems

haraty@uunet.UU.NET (Ramzi A. Haraty) (04/26/91)

Greetings,
	Does anybody know how to handle viruses in a database system?
In a database environment there would certainly be a lot of updates
and I was wondering how could one limit the infection of viruses into
data items. In other words, how do we guarantee that untrusted users
or processes won't infect our database with viruses?

P.S. I am talking at the system level here.

Thanks is advance

Ramzi Haraty
email: haraty@plains.nodak.edu

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (05/03/91)

Ramzi A. Haraty writes:
>Greetings,
>	Does anybody know how to handle viruses in a database system?

Well, for now you can just ignore them - they don't exist.  :-)

Seriously though - a virus can only INFECT executable code, not data
items in a database.  The data items can be CORRUPTED by a virus, but
not in a way that will spread the infection.

For example, there exist two viruses targeted against dBASE, known as
'dBASE-virus' and 'DBF-blank virus'.  Both are extremely rare, and it
is doubtful if they exist "in the wild".  They both corrupt database
information, but they do not infect the database itself.

- -frisk