[comp.virus] F-prot v1.13

hemmo@machina.hut.fi (Juha Hemminki) (05/03/91)

I would like to know why the version of F-chk I have (1.13) wants to
write a temporary file called LZ__TEMP.TMP to DOS current directory.
That happens only when f-fchk scans INST_DSK.EXE from hyperdisk
speedkit. The tmp file is always deleted after scan. Size of the TMP
file si 22888 bytes and it seems to have code from the scanned file in
it.

I would like to know what causes this. None of the virus scanners I
have available has reported any virusinfection. Any suggestions or
information is appreciated

			BUT PLEASE REPLY BY E-MAIL.
- --
                                 H E M M O
                               Juha Hemminki
                            hemmo@machina.hut.fi
                       The last true gentleman alive

p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) (05/03/91)

hemmo@machina.hut.fi (Juha Hemminki) writes:

> I would like to know why the version of F-chk I have (1.13) wants to
> write a temporary file called LZ__TEMP.TMP to DOS current directory.

F-FCHK will check compressed LZEXE format files.  In order to do so, it
has to decompress it.

Vancouver          p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca   | "Don't buy a
Institute for      Robert_Slade@mtsg.sfu.ca |     computer."
Research into      (SUZY) INtegrity         | Richards' First
User               Canada V7K 2G6           | Law of Data
Security                                    | Security