[comp.virus] Viral or other problem?

dennisp@AIC.NRL.Navy.Mil (05/08/91)

I don't know if my problem is virus-related or not, but I've been
trying other methods of eliminating the problem with no results.  Here
is my problem: I have a MacIIfx and a Mac IIci in my lab.  Both are
using System 6.0.7, which came with the hardware.  Since installation,
both Macs have had problems opening Superpaint 1.1MS, MacDrawII, and
MacPaint.  I get messages stating either that the document type is
unknown (the documents were created with resident applications on an
older machine!) or there is not enough memory to open the document
(one of the machines has 8 Meg on it!)  My local Apple techie has told
me to remove 6.0.7 and install 6.0.5 to correct the problem (seems
that 6.0.7 and certain Mac models have problems?).  I did what he
suggested, but the problem persists.  I have scanned the hard disks on
both machines with Disinfectant 2.4, but have found no viral
infections.  Is what I've got a viral problem, a system problem, a
hardware problem?  Granted, this is a viral board, but if I can be
told it is a virus, perhaps I can isolate what the real problem is.
Thanks in advance.  Dennis Perzanowski

JK_APPLEREP@UNHH.UNH.EDU (Joe Kazura) (05/08/91)

dennisp@AIC.NRL.Navy.Mil,

The problem you are encountering is not due to any problems with the
CPU's and the version of the System software.  The problem is with
older versions of some software.  I can tell you right now that
SuperPaint 1.1 is a major problem and if that MacPaint is one of the
original versions (vot 2.0) then it's just too old!

I use MacDraw II all the time on an SE/30 and a IIfx with 2 and 4mb
respectively and I have no problems at all with 6.0.7

I would suggest (STRONGLY) moving all fonts & DAs from your current
System version (esp. ones you don't have back-ups of) into a seperate
file on your HD.

Re-Boot the system with an original Sysytem 6.0.7 Tools disk, open the
system folder and remove the SYSTEM, FINDER & MULTIFINDER files, trash
'em!

Now run the Installer program from the System Tools Disk (make sure
that you have the other three disks handy ... Util. 1, Util. 2 and
Printing Tools).  Select the CUSTOMIZE button, now select the items
you need while holding down the shift key.  (i.e.  for the IIfx: Sys
soft. for IIfx, etc.)

As a general rule, when you get system bombs: check to see that you
are using the current version of whatever software, check for Viruses,
and re-install the system software as I have outlined above!  This
system works 99% of the time for me and the people I support here at
UNH.

If anyone needs more help E-Mail me directly!

Joe Kazura
Apple Student Rep.
University of New Hampshire
[JK_APPLEREP@UNHH.UNH.EDU] or [ST0566@APPLELINK.APPLE.COM]

CAH0@gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (05/10/91)

dennisp@AIC.NRL.Navy.Mil writes:
> I get messages stating either that the document type is
> unknown (the documents were created with resident applications on an
> older machine!)
You can get this a couple of ways:

.. Your DeskTop file for your hard disk could be corrupted.  To
correct, boot the system while holding down the Command and Option
keys until you get the dialog prompt to rebuild the DeskTop.  You also
can correct it on an application by application basis by clicking on
the application, rather than the document, and selecting Open from the
application's File menu.

.. The vendor of software may have changed the product's four
character signature from the version you have on the older machine to
the version you have on the newer machines.  I believe MacDraw-II did
change between Release 3 and Release 4.  To correct, either install
the older version of the software on your new system (ugh!) or, as in
the case of MacDraw-II, click on the application, then open the
document from the application's File menu, hoping the software will
convert from old format to new.

> My local Apple techie has told
> me to remove 6.0.7 and install 6.0.5 to correct the problem (seems
> that 6.0.7 and certain Mac models have problems?).

That's a new one on me.  I use 6.0.7 and all three of the products you
mentioned on all kinds of Mac-II's.  Out of memory usually means just
that.  To check, click on the small icon in the upper right corner of
your screen (I'm assuming you run MultiFinder) to get back to the icon
of a little Mac, then select "About the Finder" from the Apple menu.

Chuck Hoffman, GTE Laboratories, Inc.    |  I'm not sure why we're here,
cah0@bunny.gte.com                       |  but I am sure that while we're
Telephone (U.S.A.) 617-466-2131          |  here, we're supposed to help
GTE VoiceNet: 679-2131                   |  each other.
GTE Telemail: C.HOFFMAN                  |