[comp.virus] Virii in Factory Software; Legal Stuff; "Eddie Lives"

walker@AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL (William Walker C60223 x4570) (05/08/91)

I haven't yet read enough of the back issues of VIRUS-L, so please
excuse what duplication I may make.

I have just run across (and cleaned up) the MusicBug virus from the
factory-supplied SVGA disks for a Packard Bell computer.  The virus
was on both disks of the set.  Also, the virus was NOT on any of the
other disks which came with the computer.  Fortunately, the user had
not used the disks yet.  These disks were labelled simply "SVGA."  I
have also checked the disks which came with another user's Packard
Bell computer, but found no virii.  These disks were labelled "16 Bit
VGA Card" or "16 Bit VGA Board" (I forget which).

A. Padgett Peterson (padgett%tccslr.dnet@uvsl.orl.mmc.com) writes:
> Bring in the lawyers ! We need some civil actions to force manufacturers
> to take due care (I'm amazed it hasn't happened before).

[Ed. See follow-up in the next message.]

It HAS happened before.  Aldus (I believe - someone correct me if I'm
wrong) shipped a package which contained a virus, and when they
discovered this fact, recalled the shipped pieces and replaced them
with clean ones.  Also, MSgt Chester Howes (of this base) discovered
an occurrence of Jerusalem B being shipped on a copy of BitCom
communications software included with an internal modem.  The vendor
of the modem then sent clean copies of the software and said to
destroy the old copies.  There are probably other examples.

In both of these instances, the manufacturers took full responsibility
and made efforts to remedy the situation, once they were informed of
the problem.  No legal action was necessary.  Should there be in this
case?  Granted, the Music Bug virus has been reported on the SVGA
disks since December, and Azusa a couple of weeks ago, but has anyone
informed the manufacturer or distributors?  Also, how do you know
they're NOT checking the disks?  Suppose they're using VIRUSCAN V74,
which won't find Azusa.  Or worse, suppose they're using Norton
Antivirus.  While it is a good package, the Symantec Virus Newsline
recording, where one gets new virus descriptions, is pretty old (as of
yesterday, 7 May, it was dated mid- February), and doesn't include the
Azusa virus or (if memory serves correctly) the MusicBug virus.

They may indeed be looking, but the virii are getting by.  While I
don't have a number for Packard Bell or Trident Microsystems, I am
calling Service Merchandise and Sam's Wholesale, distributors of
Packard Bell computers in this area.  It costs less than a civil suit,
and will achieve the same results, probably in less time.

One unrelated comment: I had thought that the phrase, "Eddie lives...
somewhere in time" referred to the film "Eddie and the Cruisers," in
which the lead singer is thought to be dead, but no one is 100% sure.
Sorta like Elvis, huh?  ;-)

Bill Walker ( WALKER@AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL ) | "If you were locked in a room with
OAO Corporation                        |  Saddam Hussein, the Ayatullah, and
Arnold Engineering Development Center  |  a lawyer, but you had only two
M.S. 120                               |  bullets, which would you shoot?"
Arnold Air Force Base, TN  37389-9998  | "I'd shoot the lawyer twice."

greg@agora.rain.com (Greg Broiles) (05/10/91)

walker@AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL (William Walker C60223 x4570) writes:
>One unrelated comment: I had thought that the phrase, "Eddie lives...
>somewhere in time" referred to the film "Eddie and the Cruisers," in
>which the lead singer is thought to be dead, but no one is 100% sure.
>Sorta like Elvis, huh?  ;-)

No, this is (I think) pretty clearly a reference to an Iron Maiden
album, "Somewhere in Time" (released 1986? 1987?).  Iron Maiden
features some sort of skeleton-monster mascot on their album covers
named "Eddie".

>Bill Walker ( WALKER@AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL ) | "If you were locked in a room with
>OAO Corporation                        |  Saddam Hussein, the Ayatullah, and
>Arnold Engineering Development Center  |  a lawyer, but you had only two
>M.S. 120                               |  bullets, which would you shoot?"
>Arnold Air Force Base, TN  37389-9998  | "I'd shoot the lawyer twice."

old signature - address bad!
- --
".. organized crime is the price we pay for organization." - Raymond Chandler
Greg Broiles          | CI$:      74017,3623   |      greg@agora.hf.intel.com
Peacenet: gbroiles    | WWIVnet:  1@5312       |            MCIMail: gbroiles

p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) (05/11/91)

walker@AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL (William Walker C60223 x4570) writes:

> I haven't yet read enough of the back issues of VIRUS-L, so please
> excuse what duplication I may make.
> One unrelated comment: I had thought that the phrase, "Eddie lives...
> somewhere in time" referred to the film "Eddie and the Cruisers," in
> which the lead singer is thought to be dead, but no one is 100% sure.
> Sorta like Elvis, huh?  ;-)

Comparative Modern Culture 101, final exam
Question 5:  Who is "Eddie"?  (10 points)

You would have a great time going through the old issues researching
this one.  I think the Heavy Metal crew have one the day on this one.
"Eddie" is the mascot of "Iron Maiden", one of whose
albums/songs/lines is "somewhere in time".

Vancouver          p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca   | "If you do buy a
Institute for      Robert_Slade@mtsg.sfu.ca |  computer, don't
Research into      (SUZY) INtegrity         |  turn it on."
User               Canada V7K 2G6           | Richards' 2nd Law
Security                                    | of Data Security