[comp.virus] Odd 77-byte files

zlsiial@cs.man.ac.uk (05/09/91)

Some utility on my PC (running MS DOS 3.3) has been creating several
hundred hidden files.  All had a filename of an existing COM or EXE
file, but with the corresponding extension ._OM or ._XE, and all were
77 bytes long.  The files are all deleted -- sorry not to have saved a
copy -- and no available virus scanning utility reports any odd files
anywhere.  Has anyone seen this elsewhere?

			A. V. Le Blanc
			Manchester Computing Centre
			University of Manchester
			ZLSIIAL@uk.ac.mcc.cms

EATER@MICF.NIST.GOV (Chuck Eater) (05/11/91)

> Some utility on my PC (running MS DOS 3.3) has been creating several
> hundred hidden files.  All had a filename of an existing COM or EXE
> file, but with the corresponding extension ._OM or ._XE, and all were
> 77 bytes long.  The files are all deleted -- sorry not to have saved a
> copy -- and no available virus scanning utility reports any odd files
> anywhere.  Has anyone seen this elsewhere?

These files sound like the checksum files created by the
auto-inoculate feature of the Norton Antivirus package.  They are
77-bytes in length and are created with the system and hidden file
attributes.

- --chuck

 Charles L. Eater,  National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST)
          Snail :   Administration A738,   Gaithersburg, MD 20899
          Email :   eater@nbsmicf     eater@micf.nist.gov (129.6.16.4)
          Phone :   (301) 975-4065

p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) (05/11/91)

zlsiial@cs.man.ac.uk writes:

> Some utility on my PC (running MS DOS 3.3) has been creating several
> hundred hidden files.  All had a filename of an existing COM or EXE

If it was hidden .COM files for each .EXE, then it would indicate the
new type of viral programs which Patricia Hoffman refers to as
"spawning".  However, since the hidden files do not have executable
filenames, it might be similar to the Norton Antivirus change
detection scheme.

NAV does not store all the checksum information for "innoculated"
files in one file, but in one hidden file for each innoculated
program.  The checksum files have filenames related to the program
files, but one character in the extension is altered.

Sorry not to have more details, but I can't find the specifics in the
manual.  (Thinks: what are READ.ME files for?  Sure enough.)

Yes, in the READ.ME file, you will find (at about line 125) a
description of the checksum files it creates.  For .COM it is ._OM,
for .EXE, ._XE, for .SYS, ._YS etc.

=============
Vancouver          p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca   | "If you do buy a
Institute for      Robert_Slade@mtsg.sfu.ca |  computer, don't
Research into      (SUZY) INtegrity         |  turn it on."
User               Canada V7K 2G6           | Richards' 2nd Law
Security                                    | of Data Security

f18@clark.edu (Torry V Schreiner) (05/12/91)

zlsiial@cs.man.ac.uk writes:
>Some utility on my PC (running MS DOS 3.3) has been creating several
>hundred hidden files.  All had a filename of an existing COM or EXE
>file, but with the corresponding extension ._OM or ._XE, and all were
>77 bytes long.  The files are all deleted -- sorry not to have saved a
>copy -- and no available virus scanning utility reports any odd files
>anywhere.  Has anyone seen this elsewhere?

Norton's AntiVirus made all of those files.  They were checksums(or
something like that) of those .EXE and .COM files.  If you look there
should be ._VL files too.  You just killed Norton's protection scheme.
Hope you aren't still using that.

n054gi@tamuts.tamu.edu (Apurva Shah) (05/13/91)

It is very likely that the files that were created having the _xe and
_om extensions contained the headers of the respective EXE and COM
files.

This files are then used by some virus detection program to look for
changes in the header of the original files. The assumption of course
being that the infecting virus would have to change the header of the
original file.

To sum up these files are absolutely harmless! and erasing them also
is no cause for concern.

Since this is the first time I am posting in this news group, let me
introduce my self. My name is Apurva Shah and I am a student from
India. At present I am doing my Masters in Computer Science at the
Texas A&M University. I have been working with PC based viruses for
about two years. I was heading the anti-virus cell for V.M.C.I., which
is a computer class in Bombay and have also authored the first public
domain Indian anti-virus software called the NASSCOM Vaccine set.

The NASSCOM vaccine set is a bunch of generic vaccines and anti-virus
programs. I have a copy of the set with me, but would like to know how
I may put it up on some intrested bulliten board so that others may
use this software. Any help in this direction would be appreciated.

Regards
Apurva Shah