[comp.virus] CLEAN77 for a network?

boone@athena.cs.uga.edu (Roggie Boone) (05/09/91)

I am installing a Local Area Network in our department that will be
running Novell Netware 386.  I am thinking about using the McAffee
Netscan77 virus detection program.  I am curious if there is a network
version of CLEAN77, or can CLEAN77 remove viruses from a network such
as described above?  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Roggie Boone
boone@athena.cs.uga.edu

ORAND@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (ONLY 30 MORE CREDIT HOURS AND I'M GONE) (05/15/91)

boone@athena.cs.uga.edu (Roggie Boone) writes:
> I am installing a Local Area Network in our department that will be
> running Novell Netware 386.  I am thinking about using the McAffee
> Netscan77 virus detection program.  I am curious if there is a network
> version of CLEAN77, or can CLEAN77 remove viruses from a network such
> as described above?  Any info would be appreciated.

    CLEAN77 works well for networks.  I use it for our Netware 2.15
here at the University of Kansas.  There is a complementary program
called NETSCAN77 that will scan the server for viruses.  Once a virus
has been detected, you use CLEAN77 to cure it.

    McAffee and Associates is a very helpful company.  I recently
discovered a virus that NETSCAN will not detect on EXE files and
called them and told them about it.  They were very helpful and will
be putting out a solution to this problem in a couple of weeks.

    Brady...
    ORAND@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu