[comp.virus] "protection" from research viruses

smith_s@gc.bitnet (05/15/91)

>From:    "David.M.Chess" <CHESS@YKTVMV.BITNET>
>Subject: re: The Shape of the World (PC)
>>
>>This loud cry for protection against research-only viruses is quite
>>quite bothersome -- the numbers game we have to play (as a vendor) in
>>order to counter "my scanner can beat up your scanner" type of games
>>is sorta foolish -- yet we must play the game.
>
>Must we?  Or rather, given that we must at the moment, must we always?
>Is there any hope that the anti-virus community might band together
>(for a moment, at least!) and decide that the numbers game shall be
>played ONLY with viruses that have appeared in reliably-confirmed
>real-world incidents?  ...

  For now, if it's really bothering you, I've got what seems a
reasonable solution: use Frisk's F-Prot (or any other package you like
that has an external list of nasties) and edit the SIGN.TXT file to
remove those signatures that you deem ridiculous.
  Simple, no?  Granted, it's no solution to the authors of antiviral
software, but from the user perspective it works.
  _,_/|
  \o.O;   Steven W. Smith, Programmer/Analyst
 =(___)=  Glendale Community College, Glendale Az. USA
    U     SMITH_S@GC.BITNET
*poof* My opinions are now your opinions, so you'd better get used to it!