[comp.virus] Revised Product Test - - VIREX-PC, version 1.20

cmcdonal@wsmr-emh03.army.mil (Chris McDonald ASQNC-TWS-R-SO) (05/14/91)

                                                                          PT-23
 								     March 1991
							       Revised May 1991

1.  Product Description:  Virex-PC is a software package to detect, disinfect
and prevent computer viruses and malicious programs for the MS-DOS environment.

2.  Product Acquisition:  Virex-PC is available from Microcom Software
Division, P.O. Box 51816, Durham, NC 27717.  The telephone number is 919-490-
1277.  The price is $99.00.  There are several third party vendors who sell
single copies at a significantly reduced cost.

3.  Product Testers:  Chris Mc Donald, Computer Systems Analyst, Information
Systems Command, White Sands Missile Range, NM 88002-5506, DSN:  258-4176, DDN:
cmcdonal@wsmr-emh03.army.mil or cmcdonald@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil.

4.  Product Test:

    a.  I acquired Version 1.0 in December 1990 for $70.00 from Telemart in
Phoenix, Arizona.  After I completed and mailed the registration card, Microcom
shipped me Version 1.1a.  I thought this was a good marketing strategy on their
part, even though they were under no obligation to do so.  In May 1991 I
received Version 1.20 directly from Microcom.  This was a surprise since I
expected to have to pay for any upgrade and because I had not subscribed to
their annual update service.  A telephone conversation with a Microcom
represented confirmed that the vendor had chosen to send out the upgrade to all
registered users free of charge.  I have no idea how long this will continue.

[Ed. The remainder of this revised product review is available for
anonymous FTP on cert.sei.cmu.edu in pub/virus-l/docs/reviews.]

p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) (05/16/91)

cmcdonal@wsmr-emh03.army.mil (Chris McDonald ASQNC-TWS-R-SO) writes:

> part, even though they were under no obligation to do so.  In May 1991 I
> received Version 1.20 directly from Microcom.  This was a surprise since I
> expected to have to pay for any upgrade and because I had not subscribed to
> their annual update service.  A telephone conversation with a Microcom
> represented confirmed that the vendor had chosen to send out the upgrade to a
> registered users free of charge.  I have no idea how long this will continue.

Coincidentally, today an update disk from Microcom fell through the
mail slot for me too.  The date on the postmark is May 8, 1991.

Vancouver          p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca   | "If you do buy a
Institute for      Robert_Slade@mtsg.sfu.ca |  computer, don't
Research into      (SUZY) INtegrity         |  turn it on."
User               Canada V7K 2G6           | Richards' 2nd Law
Security                                    | of Data Security