[comp.virus] VIRRUSSUM format

BOXALL@qut.edu.au (05/20/91)

It is far easier to view the document with a file viewer, say LIST.
This works quickly and effieciently as the user simply has to do a
search for a keyword and the information is presented immediately.

Not everyone wants to use a database to access the information, as
this will take more time and increase the complexity of retrieving
information.

Wayne Boxall
Computer Virus Information Group
Queensland University of Technology
Australia

PHYS169@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (Mark Aitchison, U of Canty; Physics) (05/21/91)

BOXALL@qut.edu.au writes:
> It is far easier to view the document with a file viewer, say LIST.
> This works quickly and effieciently as the user simply has to do a
> search for a keyword and the information is presented immediately.
>
> Not everyone wants to use a database to access the information, as
> this will take more time and increase the complexity of retrieving
> information.

There is a (growing) need to find virus information when a simple
search is insufficient (no disrespect to Vernon's program) - there are
simply too many viruses to make this convenient unless you are
familiar enough with them to search the likely places first.

So I suggest a smallish index file (in DIF format, which most
people/programs can understand) *as well as* the big virus lists. The
index should be public domain and list several important attributes of
each virus, one per line. I could go into further detail if anyone
needs it.

Mark Aitchison.