[comp.virus] Unidentified virus?

ACDL004@SAUPM00.BITNET (05/23/91)

Hi All:

I am afraid I have got a virus. But SCAN77 does not identify it..
What happened to me is that the system syddenly reboots when I am
working.

I noticed this when I was drawing a plan in AUTOCAD. When I display
the object with hidden lines removed ,It started rebooting..  Later I
noticed that there were 3 hidden files created in the ACAD directory .
Those files are some parts of MTE directory..  The file names were
different and hidden and not the complete file but a small part of a
file about 6k.

This rebooting continued even when I was in Norton commander..

I turned the system off and on again.. There were No problem at the
beginning.. But after 30 minutes( or so) It started rebooting as if
the reset button is pressed..  And the same files were again created (
I erased those file before positively). So I thought that something
wrong from the MTE and I erased the whole MTE Directory..  ( No BBS
calls yesterday) I also chaned the AUTOCAD directory by erasing it and
installing it again from a fresh DIFFERENT AUTOCAD software.

Now I do not have that rebooting problem upto now . But the three
hidden files are still created in ACAD directory with some contents
from MTE software. Note that I do not have MTE in my Hard disk NOW.
How do those files are created.  Did anybody hvave such an experience
before..  I dought that this is a VIRUS. But SCAN77 says NO.

Can anyone give me a suggestion what to do...

Thanks in Advance....
Nasir
(ACDL004@SAUPM00.BITNET)

padgett%tccslr.dnet@mmc.com (Padgett Peterson) (05/23/91)

>From:    ACDL004@SAUPM00.BITNET

>This rebooting continued even when I was in Norton commander..

>I turned the system off and on again.. There were No problem at the
>beginning.. But after 30 minutes( or so) It started rebooting as if
>the reset button is pressed..

Sounds to me more like a marginal power supply. Try opening the case
and running for a while and see if it changes (afer a thorough virus scan
of course). 30 minutes seems to be a critical "warm-up" time when a power
supply starts getting tired.