[comp.virus] MS-DOS in ROM; RE: Software Upgradable BIOS

walker@aedc-vax.af.mil (William Walker C60223 x4570) (05/24/91)

Padgett Peterson <padgett%tccslr.dnet@mmc.com> writes:
> Subject: re: MS-DOS in ROM? (PC)
> The major problems would be:
> 1) Hardware is always more expensive than software to produce

Definitely.

> 2) Would make it difficult to upgrade

I'm not so sure.  If the ROM upgrade is on a cartridge (similar to HP fonts),
upgrading would involve swapping cartridges, which could also contain the
other DOS-related files (CHKDSK, EDLIN, etc.).  As it is now, upgrading DOS
on a hard disk involves doing SYS and copying COMMAND.COM and the other files
to the hard disk.  Also, as I have found too many times, users have copied
some of the DOS programs all over their drive rather than one location, and
following a DOS upgrade, they call in with an "Incorrect DOS version" error.
Swapping cartridges would be quicker and easier, and would eliminate
"straggler programs."

> 3) Would provide no protection from viruses - too many popular programs
>    and peripherals rely on tailoring the BIOS (e.g. hard disk controllers)
>    MBR (e.g. FDISK), and DOS (most TSRs) in approved methods. Unfortunately
>    many of these methods can also be used by malicious software.

It would provide SOME protection from viri, in that the DOS files themselves,
being in ROM, would be immune from infection.  Also, since the remainder of
the BIOS is also in ROM, it is immune as well (I'm aware of peripherals adding
BIOS extensions, but not "tailoring" the existing BIOS).  However, once in
RAM, anything is fair game, and other program files on disk would not have the
benefit of ROM protection.

> 4) Undocumented necessities (such as necessary to use a CD-ROM or NETWARE).

Items such as CD-ROMs have ROM BIOS extensions and/or drivers loaded by
CONFIG.SYS.  DOS in ROM would not affect their operation, so long as the boot
process accessed the ROM extensions and used a user-modifiable CONFIG.SYS and
AUTOEXEC.BAT.  However, non-DOS executables stuck in CONFIG.SYS and
AUTOEXEC.BAT would still be prone to infection if run from a disk.

Netware, on the other hand, is a different puppy.  Netware in ROM would be
impractical, since it would have to be customized to each specific
configuration, and there is a HUGE variety of configurations.  I suppose it
would be possible to produce a Netware kernel in ROM, but because so much
configuration-dependent stuff would be left in software, it would probably
be better to leave it all in software.

> 5) "Bug" fixed would be much more expensive.

Yes, indeed.  But if DOS in ROM was on a handy cartridge, containing
UV-erasable PROM, the old cartridges could be returned after an upgrade or
bug-fix to be erased and reused by the manufacturer, thereby reducing costs.

He also writes:
> Subject: Software Upgradable BIOS (PC)
> if the hardware designers do their job. A EEPROM requires a special signal
> on one lead to tell it to write. If that lead is under hardware control and
> accessable only with the case open and a special plug in place that disables
> everything except a "load & verify BIOS" program, risk can be minimal.

Exactly.  If the BIOS upgrade is tied to hardware control of some kind, then
there's little problem.  If it's COMPLETELY under software control, however,
what's to prevent a virus author from writing a virus which can simulate a
software BIOS upgrade?  The whole idea that Intel has is to eliminate the
need to open the case or do some complex hardware operation.  A ROM
cartridge still seems to be the better way to go; besides, how many times
does one upgrade the BIOS during the life of a machine?

> The point is not to "protest" the concept, it sounds like a good idea, but
> demand adequate safeguards (dare I say "standards") for its use.

OK, so I was a bit extreme.  But we do need to DEMAND those safeguards or
a more secure alternative.

> ("flew" some digitally controlled gas-turbine engines with  8080s at
> Tullahoma in the seventies - Hi Bill)

Everybody sing - "It's a Small World after all." :-)

These are, of course, ideas and opinions, and are subject to comment,
criticism, or whatever.

Bill Walker ( WALKER@AEDC-VAX.AF.MIL ) | "If you were locked in a room with
OAO Corporation                        |  Saddam Hussein, the Ayatullah, and
Arnold Engineering Development Center  |  a lawyer, but you had only two
M.S. 120                               |  bullets, which would you shoot?"
Arnold Air Force Base, TN  37389-9998  | "I'd shoot the lawyer twice."
( somewhere near Tullahoma )           |