[comp.virus] Virus Statistics

rtravsky@CORRAL.UWyo.Edu (Richard W Travsky) (05/24/91)

I've often wondered if anyone was keeping track of viral infections.
Myself, I've wondered about the geographic spread (as in, a [new]
virus shows itself here, then here, and then there).  Would make some
pretty plots, like the spread of killer bees ;)

For the record, before last fall my site, the University of Wyoming,
did not appear to have much in the way of virus activity - at least,
none that anyone bothered to report to us.  And also for the record,
the two we have now are Stoned and Ping Pong (Ping Pong appears to be
confined to the Law College - read in to that what you will! ;).  A
while back, Jerusalem put in an appearance, but it did not apparently
spread.  I've a couple of unconfirmed reports that MusicBug is in town
(via FTP is what I've heard).

I'm sorta curious about factors facilitating virus spread.  The
closest town to us is about 50 miles away - physically.
Electronically, well, ftp makes for a small world.  Our school size is
about 10,000.  What else might be pertinent?  Perhaps a profile could
be drawn up?

+-----------------+     Richard Travsky
|                 |     Division of Information Technology
|                 |     University of Wyoming
|                 |
|                 |     RTRAVSKY @ CORRAL.UWYO.EDU
|           U W   |     (307) 766 - 3663 / 3668
|            *    |     "Wyoming is the capital of Denver." - a tourist
+-----------------+     "One of those square states." - another tourist
Home state of Dick Cheney,  Secretary of Defense of these here UNITED STATES!

padgett%tccslr.dnet@mmc.com (A. Padgett Peterson) (05/29/91)

>From:    rtravsky@CORRAL.UWyo.Edu (Richard W Travsky)

>...the two we have now are Stoned and Ping Pong
> I've a couple of unconfirmed reports that MusicBug is in town
>(via FTP is what I've heard).

Up until recently, boot sector infectors such as Stoned, Ping-Pong, & MusicBug
have required physical contact with a floppy to spread. Only with TELEDISK or
SENDDISK could an entire floppy (including boot sector) be sent electronically
(e.g. FTP). The only other way for these viruses to spread via FTP would be if
embedded in a trojan.