[comp.virus] VSUM Format

Guillory@farwest.FidoNet.Org (05/23/91)

kuhnle@ait.physik.uni-tuebingen.de (Volkmar Kuhnle) writes:

>But over the months al lot of new viruses (and strains of existing ones)
>have been uncovered, so that VIRUSSUM.DOC grew in size. Since the
>current version is about more than 500 K in length, is is getting
>harder and harder to find informations about a special virus in
>a file of this size, since I have to use a normal editor.
>
>I came to the conclusion that an ASCII file is not appropriate for the
>distribution of so much data. Therefore I would suggest to supply
>future versions as DBF files (dbase format).

Other people may have beaten this to death but I propose that Patricia
Hoffman change her VIRUSSUM.DOC to something similar to PC Virus Index
(PCVI305.zip) by Dan McCool and Brian Clough.  This file comes with an
executable portion and separate datafiles for each virus.  This is a
well written program that is easy to use.

vhc@Abacus.hgs.se (Mikael Larsson) (05/29/91)

Posting this message from a friend that will soon get an own account!
*****
 > From:    Guillory@farwest.FidoNet.Org
 >
 > Other people may have beaten this to death but I propose that Patricia
 > Hoffman change her VIRUSSUM.DOC to something similar to PC Virus Index
 > (PCVI305.zip) by Dan McCool and Brian Clough.  This file comes with an
 > executable portion and separate datafiles for each virus.
 > This is a well written program that is easy to use.

I disagree with this because that means that You can only access the
database on a given computer platform. The VIRUSSUM.DOC should remain
in pure ASCII given the benefits of being able to read it from
whatever machine your using.

If the demand rises someone will write a program to access
VIRUSSUM.DOC on any platform, just as I am currently doing for the
PC:s with my VSUMBROW program.

Regards /Jonny Bergdahl
FidoNet: 2:204/503
VirNet : 9:463/101
BBS: +46-36-121323
Virus-L Digest => VirNet echogate

Rgds,

MiL
         Virus Help Centre            Phone    : +46-26 100518
         Box 7018                     Fax      : +46-26 275720
         S-81107  SANDVIKEN           BBS      : +46-26 275710 (HST)
         SWEDEN                       FidoNet  : 2:205/204
                                      VirNet   : 9:461/101
                                      SigNet   : 27:5346/108
                                      Email    : vhc@abacus.hgs.se