[comp.virus] Addendum to FLU_SHOT+ Product Test

cmcdonal@wsmr-emh03.army.mil (Chris McDonald ASQNC-TWS-R-SO) (05/29/91)

ADDENDUM for Product Test PT-27, May 1991, subject:  FLU_SHOT+

	Several days after transmitting PT-27 for FLU_SHOT+ the author
sent me an electronic message, also posted to Virus-L, informing me
that version 1.82 was now available.  The author also advised me that
the "free" demonstration copy of Virex-PC would no longer be included
with FLU_SHOT+.

	While I was aware that a version 1.82 was available, I chose
to limit my comments to version 1.81 because I had access to it
through simtel20.  As mentioned in the product test analysis, I have
never received any official notification of FLU_SHOT+ upgrades even
though I am a registered user.  While INTERNET is usually faster than
U.S. postal channels, it was not fast enough in this instance.

        The "free" Virex-PC demonstration is now available at many
locations to include simtel20 in the path:

			pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>virx14.zip

	I apologize for any inconvenience.

c-rossgr@uunet.uu.net (05/31/91)

From:    Chris McDonald ASQNC-TWS-R-SO <cmcdonal@wsmr-emh03.army.mil>

>ADDENDUM for Product Test PT-27, May 1991, subject:  FLU_SHOT+

>	Several days after transmitting PT-27 for FLU_SHOT+ the author
>sent me an electronic message, also posted to Virus-L, informing me
>that version 1.82 was now available.  The author also advised me that
>the "free" demonstration copy of Virex-PC would no longer be included
>with FLU_SHOT+.

Actually, to be more specific, it will merely be removed from the .ZIP
file.  It will still be available for download from my BBS and from
other sites -- including SIMTEL-20, since I'll be loading it to Keith
directly henceforth.  And, please, take the quote from the word
"free"?  It really is free - it merely forces you to wade through some
screens of advertising.

It will still be distributed on the disks of registered FLU_SHOT+
owners.

>	While I was aware that a version 1.82 was available, I chose
>to limit my comments to version 1.81 because I had access to it
>through simtel20.  As mentioned in the product test analysis, I have
>never received any official notification of FLU_SHOT+ upgrades even
>though I am a registered user.  While INTERNET is usually faster than
>U.S. postal channels, it was not fast enough in this instance.

I'm working on simulataneously releasing code to SIMTEL-20 along with
other sites so that this confusion doesn't happen again.  As for
postal notification: please send me your snail mail address for
confirmation?  If I'm sending out 50K+ pieces of mail, I'd sure like
to make sure that they're actually being received!

>        The "free" Virex-PC demonstration is now available at many
>locations to include simtel20 in the path:

Thar ya go again with them quotes, dagnabit!  It really is free.  No
hidden charges, no auto-decrement on your wallet or anything.

>	I apologize for any inconvenience.

Me, too.

Ross