[comp.virus] Network World Article

rtravsky@CORRAL.UWYO.EDU (Richard W Travsky) (05/31/91)

The May 27th Network World has a nice article on viruses and
networks/lans.  It talks about how viruses have progressed from an
annoyance to a major problem (surely news to everyone here), quoting a
study by Certus International where 50% of 2500 selected sites (with
400 or more micros) had reported problems with viruses.

Lans are stated to be a major conributor to the spread of viruses.

The section of the article of some interest to me was a test of 21
virus scanning packages conducted by the NCSA.  An accompanying chart
shows the percentage of detection by the packages against 921 viruses.
Here's how the rankings went (only 15 of the 21 were reported for some
reason):

  Package                                   Percentage of Viruses Recognized
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  F-Prot V. 1.14A                                      92%
  Sophos, Ltd. Vaccine V. 4.23                         91%
  Solomon Software Toolkit 4.25                        89%
  Thijssen HTScan 1.12                                 78%
  Thijssen HTScan 1.11                                 73%
  McAfee Assoc. Pro-Scan V. 2.01                       73%
  Symantec Corp. Norton AntiVirus V. 1.0.0             72%
  WorldWide Software, Inc. Vaccine 3.0                 70%
  Microcom, Inc. VPCScan V. 1.1A                       69%
  IBM VirScan V 1.3                                    66%
  EliaShim Microcomputers ViruSafe 3.06/7              63%
  McAfee Assoc. Pro-Scan V. 1.4                        62%
  Certus International Corp. V 2.1                     61%
  EliaShim Microcomputers Inc. ViruSafe 3.05           57%
  IBM VirScan V 1.0                                    25%

Hopefully there are no typos.  I just report 'em, the interpretations
are your job.

Some of these packages I've never heard of.

Towards the end of the article they spend a few paragraphs talking
about SiteLock and its virus protection features for lans.

Richard Travsky
Division of Information Technology     RTRAVSKY @ CORRAL.UWYO.EDU
University of Wyoming                  (307) 766 - 3663 / 3668

padgett%tccslr.dnet@mmc.com (A. Padgett Peterson) (05/31/91)

>From:    rtravsky@CORRAL.UWYO.EDU (Richard W Travsky)

>An accompanying chart shows the percentage of detection by the packages
>against 921 viruses. Here's how the rankings went (only 15 of the 21 were
>reported for some reason):

Interesting: when you eliminate the older versions of the products,
you are actually left with 10 programs and all appear to be scanners,
not validation programs (Enigma-Logic's Virus-Safe, McAfee's VSHIELD
,etc. were not included) so it is difficult to tell just what they are
evaluating.

Just to provide "apples vs apples" tests, possibly in conjunction with
the public domain viral list, we should make a stab at a weighted test
(e.g. Jerusalem 1000 pts for detection, Pentagon 1 pt.) if we can come
up with a probability function for infection it would certainly be
better than "We can detect 900 viruses". We can start with David's
list, flesh it out a bit, and apply a bit of Quattro's "What If"
(there goes some more negative free time - what we need is a national
laboratory).

					Warmly,
						Padgett