[comp.virus] F-Driver.SYS and QEMM

Michael_Kessler.Hum@mailgate.sfsu.edu (05/31/91)

Yesterday I re-optimized my memory allocation on a Zenith 386-SX
because it had lost 2K of memory.  As it ran through the process, the
Stoned virus was detected, and the system froze, as it should have.
However, the station had been used on and off several times since its
infection, with no detection by f-driver.sys (ver 1.15A), and I
suspect that the reason for this is that it had been loaded into high
RAM by QEMM when running OPTIMIZE.  I do not recall reading anything
about this in the F-PROT documentation.

MKessler@HUM.SFSU.EDU

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (06/02/91)

Michael_Kessler.Hum@mailgate.sfsu.edu writes:
>However, the station had been used on and off several times since its
>infection, with no detection by f-driver.sys (ver 1.15A), and I
>suspect that the reason for this is that it had been loaded into high
>RAM by QEMM when running OPTIMIZE.  I do not recall reading anything
>about this in the F-PROT documentation.

No - simply because I was not aware of it until recently - it seems
that if F-DRIVER is loaded into high memory, it may miss some boot
sector viruses on bootup, although it will detect all program viruses.
This has been fixed in 1.16 - due in a few days.....

- -frisk