[comp.virus] Interesting advert

ERCN53@emas-a.edinburgh.ac.uk (K.Stevenson) (05/27/91)

Just read an interesting ad in Personal Computer  Magazine, April 1991
VNU 404, page 135.  It seems that most of us can now sleep easy if the
claim made in this advert  is true -  what will all  you EXPERTS do ?!
Before I pass the details  to you please note  my disclaimer that I do
NOT represent this company in any way and vievs are my own etc etc

Ok whats all the fuss about then ...

Vaccine anti-virus system -  "Vaccine  is virus-non specific detection
software.  It uses  cryptographic checksums to  monitor the  state  of
executables on  a PC or  file-server.  Any change, however caused will
be detected.  Since  Vaccine does not  need to know  about  particular
viruses in order to detect them,  it is future proof.  Once installed,
Vaccine will detect all viruses, past, present and future."

Various other details follow on price etc

This product is sold by S|O|P|H|O|S of England

Well - this should  cut down the  e-mail  to  Virusl-l  if we  can ALL
afford it!

Comments welcome ! (and I can't imagine that there woun't be some)

Kenny Stevenson Edinburgh Uni Comp Service ercn53@uk.ac.ed.ercvax

padgett%tccslr.dnet@mmc.com (A. Padgett Peterson) (05/29/91)

>From:    "K.Stevenson" <ERCN53@emas-a.edinburgh.ac.uk>

>It uses  cryptographic checksums to  monitor the  state  of
>executables on  a PC or  file-server.  Any change, however caused will
>be detected.  Since  Vaccine does not  need to know  about  particular
>viruses in order to detect them,  it is future proof.  Once installed,
>Vaccine will detect all viruses, past, present and future."

Question: when does it go resident ? If from CONFIG or later, you know
          my opinion.

Comment:  4096, EDV, INT13, Zenith 158 & 159

>From:    john.blakeney@f1701.n713.z3.fido.oz.au (John Blakeney)
>Subject: Virus detection via crcs

>(crc) check is only effective way of looking for viral activity unless
>search strings are known for the viruses listed in letters. trhere is
>no known virus(to my knowledge which does not alter crc check.

See above, a vital element in a good integrity management system, but not the
only element.

RADAI@HUJIVMS.BITNET (Y. Radai) (05/30/91)

  Kenny Stevenson writes:

>Just read an interesting ad in Personal Computer  Magazine, April 1991
>VNU 404, page 135.  It seems that most of us can now sleep easy if the
>claim made in this advert  is true -  what will all  you EXPERTS do ?!
>Vaccine anti-virus system -  "Vaccine  is virus-non specific detection
>software.  It uses  cryptographic checksums to  monitor the  state  of
>executables on  a PC or  file-server.  Any change, however caused will
>be detected.  Since  Vaccine does not  need to know  about  particular
>viruses in order to detect them,  it is future proof.  Once installed,
>Vaccine will detect all viruses, past, present and future."
>Comments welcome ! (and I can't imagine that there woun't be some)

There is absolutely nothing new in this ad.  There are zillions of
checksum programs for the PC which claim to do the very same thing.
However, there are three things to note: (1) They cannot distinguish
between an actual viral infection and (say) replacement of an old
version of a program by a new one; this is left to the user to decide.
(2) The vast majority of such programs cannot really catch *all*
infec- tions because DOS has loopholes which the authors of these
programs are unaware of.  (3) This method only *detects* infections
after they have occurred; it does not prevent or remove them, so
there's still a wee bit left for the "experts" to do.

  Actually, there is one such program, V-Analyst, which goes a long
way toward solving all three problems: (1) It can distinguish between
the above two situations in *most* cases.  (2) It checks for three
loopholes and takes the necessary measures.  (3) It contains a
*generic disinfector* which, when a modification is detected, will
attempt to restore the file to its original condition.  If the
modification is due to a virus, it can do this in the great majority
of cases (regard- less of whether the virus is known or unknown).
Moreover, there is never any danger of its performing an incorrect
restoration.  (Features (1) and (3) are available only in the new
version 3.0, not yet offi- cially released.)
  I'm willing to bet that Vaccine doesn't come anywhere near this.

  Padgett Peterson to Kenny::
>Question: when does it go resident ? If from CONFIG or later, you know
>          my opinion.

Answer: Who says a checksum program has to go resident at all??  Most
checksum programs I know of (incl. Vaccine and V-Analyst) can (or
must) be run without going resident.

                                     Y. Radai
                                     Hebrew Univ. of Jerusalem, Israel
                                     RADAI@HUJIVMS.BITNET
                                     RADAI@VMS.HUJI.AC.IL

padgett%tccslr.dnet@mmc.com (A. Padgett Peterson) (05/31/91)

>From:    Y. Radai <RADAI@HUJIVMS.BITNET>

>There is absolutely nothing new in this ad.

Exactikalaly.

>  Padgett Peterson to Kenny::
>>Question: when does it go resident ? If from CONFIG or later, you know
>>          my opinion.

>Answer: Who says a checksum program has to go resident at all??  Most
>checksum programs I know of (incl. Vaccine and V-Analyst) can (or
>must) be run without going resident.

Well some form of integrity checking must go resident, even if it is
just smart enough to call the checksum program. Otherwise, what is
going to identify that a program is new or changed. (you could handle
"changed" with a zillion little .BAT files but new ?) Since you do not
want to add to the pilot's workload, it must be automatic therefore
resident.

Further, in order to handle the undocumented DOS "features" and
Windows/Novell /etc interactions, it needs to go resident (at least
the disk handler) before DOS loads e.g. from the BIOS.

Considering performance, while it would be possible to call the main
routine from disk (most good anti-viral routines now permit code
swapping for systems with limited free DOS RAM), it is better to keep
the necessary elements available. Since new memory systems (DR-DOS,
MS-DOS 5.0, QEMM) can provide up to 637k free with 121k of TSRs loaded
"high" on my home machine, in the future, 10-20k of integrity
management should not be a problem (incidently, the 19k check-summing
routine I use is in high memory so on my PC the only loss to DOS is 1k
of the BIOS-level stuff: have 636k of free RAM under 640k).  The delay
in checking each program/disk access is unnoticable to the user.
(Norton reports SI 27.1 / DI 9.1 on a non-cached 25 mhz 386,
ST-251-1/SMARTDRV combo)

Point is, anyone who says the above can't be done is nuts.

						Warmly,
							Padgett

ps My wife has no idea any of the above is there when she writes a
   letter, she just turns the PC on & goes.

ccml@hippo.ru.ac.za (Mike Lawrie) (06/01/91)

RADAI@HUJIVMS.BITNET (Y. Radai) writes:

>  Kenny Stevenson writes:

>>Vaccine anti-virus system -  "Vaccine  is virus-non specific detection
>>software.  It uses  cryptographic checksums to  monitor the  state  of
>>executables on  a PC or  file-server.  Any change, however caused will
>>be detected.  Since  Vaccine does not  need to know  about  particular
>>viruses in order to detect them,  it is future proof.  Once installed,
>>Vaccine will detect all viruses, past, present and future."

>There is absolutely nothing new in this ad.  There are zillions of
>checksum programs for the PC which claim to do the very same thing.

They don't cater for this scenario:-

1. Somehow infect the RAM of your PC with a COM/EXE targetting
   virus, such as Plastique (eg run an infected program from a
   floppy, or from a network).

2. Run SCAN on your hard disk - this does a DOS open on all COM/EXE
   files on your hard disk, and thus infects each and every such
   file _after_ SCAN has pronounced them virus-free

3. You end up with every COM/EXE file on your disk having to be
   reloaded, but you believe otherwise until you find out the
   bitter truth

4. You treat checksum checking programs with utter disgust, because
   they fooled you into believing that you had protection.

Don't say that is cannot happen, it DID.

Mike
- --
Mike Lawrie
Director Computing Services, Rhodes University, South Africa
Rhodes University condemns racism and racial segregation

p1@arkham.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) (06/06/91)

I am not quite sure what